Re: Y-axis gib...ugh

  • upand_at_them
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
      I just wanted to follow up on this a bit.

      As was suggested (thanks!), my gib was rising up as the screws were
      turned in. I couldn't get good pictures to post, but I can tell you
      that it was surprising to watch it happen from the edge of the saddle.

      I wound up making a jig out of hollowed out gib screw (actually, I
      threaded a piece of 12L14 and reamed for 5/32"). And using that, while
      holding the saddle down and against the dovetail, I drilled new dimples
      in the gib. I also rounded over the ends of the gib screws. This
      works really well.

      There's a barely detectable amount of gib lift when tightening the
      screws and still a little bit of slop, but some lapping should take
      care of it. I'll probably wind up making a new gib out of brass at some
      point.

      Mike