Re: Airspring details was:Adjustable collet

  • redragonnet
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 3, 2008
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Adam" <adam.cherubini@...> wrote:

      > With the airspring kit installed, you can remove the z stop and run
      the head above the top of
      > the column. The travel you gain is more than what is published. I
      relocated my z-stop so
      > that it hits the top of the head instead of the top of the bar that
      the airsping kit's lifting bar
      > attaches to. This got me an extra 3/8-1/2"
      >
      > The thing to watch for is that the column isn't real true beyond the
      torsion springs travel.
      > This can cause problems drilling. It would be nice to lap the
      column flat somehow or scrape
      > it.
      >
      > There's a picture of my z-stop in the photo's section in the Adam's
      Mini Mill Mods folder.

      > Adam
      >Not mentioned in this thread is getting more height by simply using
      stub (screw) drill bits! They also have an advantage over jobber's
      length bits by being more rigid. Of course they also don't drill as
      deep but seldom is that a problem. Norm
    • winklmj
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 20, 2009
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Adam" <adam.cherubini@...> wrote:

        > Ken,
        >
        > The airspsing people are Chris Wood from littlemachineshop.com. I called Chris the
        > minute I hit that bolt. He answered the phone, we chatted about it, and came up with the
        > fix together.

        So what was the fix? I looked at mine and it looks like a very tight squeeze on mine. I wonder why the need for the bracket anyway. Why not just drill a single hole and mount the shaft directly to the head...maybe with a fender washer inside for additional support if needed?