Z AXIS backlash Rack shims

  • hohum112
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hi Again, If you're going to install a Gas Spring kit, now would be
      the time to also adjust for z axis backlash.Some brass shim stock
      available from most good hardware stores for about $5 to $6 is needed.
      .001' .0015" .002" .003" and some .005". If I recall correctly,
      mine only needed .002" or .003" total.
      First test with a dial or other test indicator vertically on the
      HEAD with the base attached to the column or the mills base.Preload
      the setting then zero it. Then with the fine feed run it up and down
      and check against the dial indicator and note the backlash. It's
      probably .040" to a full turn .060" of backlash.To reduce some of this
      try placing shim stock behind the rack and retest. You'll have to
      punch or cut bolt holes in shim stock. Just a suggestion. There are
      other more complicated methods involving the worm gear which will also
      adjust backlash, but this worked for me. Good Luck. Mike G