questions on my new HF 44991

  • ozarkshermit@mo-net.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2001
      I drove up to Springfield this am and picked up my HF 44991.
      I opted for the HF machine because of the R8 spindle (I have lots of
      R8 tooling for my Millrite Vertical Knee Mill, and plan on using much
      of it on the Minimill) The mini will serve excellently for smaller
      pieces needed on the small Sterling and Steam engines I build, and to
      serve as a precision drill press. I am in the process of cleaning
      off
      the cosmoline, and wonder how far to tear the mill down for proper
      lubrication - -This will be a late nite tonight! Many of you have
      done this; any suggestions?
      I will order a pair of CalAero DRO's tonight also, and will probably
      need a remote display using the SPC output from the DRO's, since
      there
      is no convenient way to see the displays on the actual devices.
      I'll check back later in case anyone reads this soon and has any
      suggestions.

      Ken
    • ozarkshermit@mo-net.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2001
        I drove up to Springfield this am and picked up my HF 44991.
        I opted for the HF machine because of the R8 spindle (I have lots of
        R8 tooling for my Millrite Vertical Knee Mill, and plan on using much
        of it on the Minimill) The mini will serve excellently for smaller
        pieces needed on the small Sterling and Steam engines I build, and to
        serve as a precision drill press. I am in the process of cleaning
        off
        the cosmoline, and wonder how far to tear the mill down for proper
        lubrication - -This will be a late nite tonoght! Many of you have
        done this; any suggestions?
        I will order a pair of CalAero DRO's tonight also, and will probably
        need a remote display using the SPC output from the DRO's, since
        there
        is no convenient way to see the displays on the actual decices.
        I'll check back later in case anyone reads this soon and has any
        advise

        Ken
      • Rick Kruger
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2001
          Why not get the third axis (Z) at the same time? I use the vertical (Z)
          axis DRO as much as the other two. I use a 12" "vertical" unit for the Z-axis.

          A recent post on the minilathe site revealed what looks to be a nice 3-axis
          display:
          https://www.wttool.com/wtool/product.asp?dept%5Fid=61670&pf%5Fid=12890460p&s
          dept%5Fid=129%2C1910%2C21940%2C61670
          [[[[ For broken ULRs, which the above will be:
          copy the second (broken off) line,
          click on the first line (active link),
          even before you get the URL error message,paste the copied second line to
          the end of the first line URL in the "Location" box and hit Enter ]]]

          They also have what looks to be a better Position Digital Indicator than
          what I got from Shars:
          https://www.wttool.com/wtool/product.asp?dept%5Fid=61670&pf%5Fid=12890440p&s
          dept%5Fid=129%2C1910%2C21940%2C61670

          They also sell what looks to be the same scale encoder units as others,
          I've not compared prices:
          https://www.wttool.com/wtool/product.asp?dept%5Fid=61700&pf%5Fid=12890445p&s
          dept%5Fid=129%2C1910%2C21980%2C61700

          Their web page displays a link for an "AC Adapter", which would be really
          super (my readouts eat batteries pretty fast), but clicking on the link
          only brings up a listing of batteries.

          The master URL for all this is:
          https://www.wttool.com/wtool/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=1910&sdept%5Fid=129

          I don't know of anyone who has bought these yet, so there is no info on
          exactly how good they are, but having a integral 3-axis readout and the
          possibility of an AC adapter could have me spending more money soon.

          Rick K.
          Portland, OR

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2, 2001
            Congrats, hope you are as ghappy as I am with mine

            Barry

            --- ozarkshermit@... wrote:
            > I drove up to Springfield this am and picked up my
            > HF 44991.
            > I opted for the HF machine because of the R8 spindle
            > (I have lots of
            > R8 tooling for my Millrite Vertical Knee Mill, and
            > plan on using much
            > of it on the Minimill) The mini will serve
            > excellently for smaller
            > pieces needed on the small Sterling and Steam
            > engines I build, and to
            > serve as a precision drill press. I am in the
            > process of cleaning
            > off
            > the cosmoline, and wonder how far to tear the mill
            > down for proper
            > lubrication - -This will be a late nite tonight!
            > Many of you have
            > done this; any suggestions?
            > I will order a pair of CalAero DRO's tonight also,
            > and will probably
            > need a remote display using the SPC output from the
            > DRO's, since
            > there
            > is no convenient way to see the displays on the
            > actual devices.
            > I'll check back later in case anyone reads this soon
            > and has any
            > suggestions.
            >
            > Ken

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
          • lloydsondra@msn.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 14, 2001
              What's your location in the Ozarks?

            • boiade@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 22, 2001
                I am in the process of cleaning
                > off
                > the cosmoline, and wonder how far to tear the mill down for proper
                > lubrication - -This will be a late nite tonoght! Many of you have
                > done this; any suggestions?

                > Ken

                I received mine last week and after reading many suggestions on
                cleaning, setting up etc. I have these suggestions:

                1. Diesel fuel or kerosene applied with a brush is best for cleaning
                the sweet and sour sauce. The sweet and sour sauce laughs at the
                spray on parts cleaner stuff (which takes off paint) I normally use
                for some reason.

                2. At a minimum you need to screw the table off and brush the lead
                screws with diesel and straighten out the threaded brass things that
                the screws go through (sorry forgotten what they are called). It's
                probably obvious, but you have to remove the end plate on the left
                side of the table to get it off. One (of the threaded brass things)
                was cockeyed. I straighened it by loosening the set screws that hold
                the thing. Also you can use the opportunity to adjust the ways with
                the set screws. My ways were too tight and also caused binding. It's
                a trial and error thing and I had to through 10 or 20 runs in both
                axis to get them how I liked them. I applied a synthetic motor oil
                mixed with a little STP as some other poster suggested over the lead
                screws. This really improved table movement.

                3. I am sure there are many other things that should be done, but
                with just the above, I was able mill down (to the right offset) and
                then precisely drill the bolt holes for a steel torque bar for the
                front brake on one of my racebikes. Pretty simple operation for most
                of the pros on this site, but it solved a problem for me. I'm sure
                if I had taken it to my trusted machinest it would have cost 50 bucks
                minimum.

                I've never worked anything but a drill press and a bench grinder
                before, so my recommendations are suspect. However, I like the
                machine. I think it is an optimal machine for people like me who
                have another hobby (road racing motorcycles) who can use the machine
                to fabricate/modify parts. From what I've read, there are some
                pretty good machinests who use the things to do quite impressive work
                with them on this site too. I had been on some more esoteric sites
                which consider these machines junk, and had I not found this forum
                and some other mini-mill sites I would have probably not bought one,
                nor would I have spent 1000 or more bucks on a "real" mill. Probably
                would have been better, I've spent about twice as much on accessories
                and tooling than on the mini-mill. Then when I saw that I could buy
                a 7X12 lathe (like the Grizzly) from Homier for $299 I ordered one of
                them. Hasn't arrived yet but I've already spent as much as the lathe
                on accessories and tools I've ordered. I think I'll hold out on the
                DROs for a bit. LOL

                Ciao,

                Fred
              • David Audette
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 22, 2001
                  Ken,

                  This one is *Critical* for yourself and any other new mill owners out
                  there. Go to the files section of the group and look in the "minimill"
                  folder and open the files labled "IMPORTANT". You *must* inspect and clean
                  this area or you're likely to trash one of your main bearings very quickly.
                  The pictures are self-explanatory and the fix ix quick and easy. Your mill
                  was *NOT* manufactured in an ISO 9002 facility, be very aware of this.
                  Cleaning this area should unquestionably be your first priority.

                  Dave

                  > > the cosmoline, and wonder how far to tear the mill down for proper
                  > > lubrication - -This will be a late nite tonoght! Many of you have
                  > > done this; any suggestions?
                  >
                  > > Ken
                  >
                  > I received mine last week and after reading many suggestions on
                  > cleaning, setting up etc. I have these suggestions:
                  >
                  > 1. Diesel fuel or kerosene applied with a brush is best for cleaning
                  > the sweet and sour sauce. The sweet and sour sauce laughs at the
                  > spray on parts cleaner stuff (which takes off paint) I normally use
                  > for some reason.
                  >
                  > 2. At a minimum you need to screw the table off and brush the lead
                  > screws with diesel and straighten out the threaded brass things that
                  > the screws go through (sorry forgotten what they are called). It's
                  > probably obvious, but you have to remove the end plate on the left
                  > side of the table to get it off. One (of the threaded brass things)
                  > was cockeyed. I straighened it by loosening the set screws that hold
                  > the thing. Also you can use the opportunity to adjust the ways with
                  > the set screws. My ways were too tight and also caused binding. It's
                  > a trial and error thing and I had to through 10 or 20 runs in both
                  > axis to get them how I liked them. I applied a synthetic motor oil
                  > mixed with a little STP as some other poster suggested over the lead
                  > screws. This really improved table movement.
                  >
                  > 3. I am sure there are many other things that should be done, but
                  > with just the above, I was able mill down (to the right offset) and
                  > then precisely drill the bolt holes for a steel torque bar for the
                  > front brake on one of my racebikes. Pretty simple operation for most
                  > of the pros on this site, but it solved a problem for me. I'm sure
                  > if I had taken it to my trusted machinest it would have cost 50 bucks
                  > minimum.
                  >
                  > I've never worked anything but a drill press and a bench grinder
                  > before, so my recommendations are suspect. However, I like the
                  > machine. I think it is an optimal machine for people like me who
                  > have another hobby (road racing motorcycles) who can use the machine
                  > to fabricate/modify parts. From what I've read, there are some
                  > pretty good machinests who use the things to do quite impressive work
                  > with them on this site too. I had been on some more esoteric sites
                  > which consider these machines junk, and had I not found this forum
                  > and some other mini-mill sites I would have probably not bought one,
                  > nor would I have spent 1000 or more bucks on a "real" mill. Probably
                  > would have been better, I've spent about twice as much on accessories
                  > and tooling than on the mini-mill. Then when I saw that I could buy
                  > a 7X12 lathe (like the Grizzly) from Homier for $299 I ordered one of
                  > them. Hasn't arrived yet but I've already spent as much as the lathe
                  > on accessories and tools I've ordered. I think I'll hold out on the
                  > DROs for a bit. LOL
                  >
                  > Ciao,
                  >
                  > Fred

                • David Audette
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 22, 2001
                    Ken,

                    Big Ooops there. I didn't notice which group this had come from ( As I
                    just recently found and joined this one ) but everything I mentioned is
                    still valid. The pics I refered to are actually posted here
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe/files/MiniMill/ in the minilathe
                    group. Many of thepeople in the minilathe group also have the Harbor Freight
                    & Grizzly mills so there's a lot of conversation about them within that
                    group. You may want to check out the group if your interests intersect. I'm
                    not sure if you have to join the group to get at the pics or not.

                    Basically what the pics show is a whole bunch of steel filings in your
                    main bearing. There's a hole in the gearhead that's drilled and tapped
                    *After* the gearhead and bearings are assembled so that when you remove the
                    top inspection cover for the main bearing what you find is all the swarf
                    from the drilling & tapping operation trapped in there and grinding itself
                    into your bearing. the pics were posted by a listmember who found out the
                    hard way what the order of operations were in this particular facility.
                    virtually every machine that's been inspected since then has displayed the
                    same swarf in the same location.

                    Just a heads-up, do yourself a favor and check it out.

                    Dave

                  • catboat15@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 22, 2001
                      In a message dated 11/22/2001 8:35:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, david.audette@... writes:

                      This one is *Critical* for yourself and any other new mill owners out
                      there.

                      thanks a lot, Dave.  I have used my new HF MM just for a fun try, but will strip and check for swarf around the bearings before I turn it on one more time.
                      John Meacham
                      California High Desert
                      12 inch Atlas, Minimill, rusty file
                    • boiade@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
                        I have used my new HF MM just for a fun try, but will
                        > strip and check for swarf around the bearings before I turn it on
                        one more>

                        I did that today with my new HF Minimill which had been run for a few
                        minutes over the past 3-4 days. No swarf or metal dust. Nice white
                        lithium grease on the gears. Sprayed on more lithium grease to feel
                        like I had done something and reassembled the thing. The nice quiet
                        whirring of before is now uneven and noisy. Tried to match the
                        original gear to gear match to get back to the quiet whirring but
                        after many tries I gave up. I wouldn't recommend dismantling the
                        head on a new HF mini mill if it has been run (or even if it hasn't
                        as I suspect they run the things before they deliver them). It
                        appears Central Machinery may have implemented a production change
                        which does not result in metal in the gear box and they grease the
                        gears.

                        Ciao,

                        Fred
                      • David Audette
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
                          I would hesitate to jump to that conclusion. there are just too many reports
                          from other owners. Perhaps there's been a production change but I'm not sure
                          when it occured, my mill arrived last weeks and had this problem. More than
                          likey it depends upon how the little chinese guy who built your mill on that
                          particular day was feeling.

                          Did you just take the motor off and look at the gears themselves ? Once you
                          get the motor off you need to remove the gear on the headstock, remove the 3
                          screws holding the bearing cover on and remove the bearing cover. Once
                          that's off you should see what I'm talking about. My machine has white
                          grease on the gears you speak of but under that in the bearing recess there
                          was nothing at all.

                          My advise is worth only as much as you pay for it so please disregard me
                          freely. I would strongly suggest that you poll other owners to get a clearer
                          picture of the average condition of a new mill. I'm sure there are other
                          sources of info but the best that I'm aware of is the mini-lathe group:
                          own these mills and discuss them frequently. With a list membership of over
                          1500 there are a lot of other mini-mill owners to talk to. for some reason
                          the level of cross-subscription seems pretty low, I'm not sure how many on
                          the other list are aware that this list exists. so much info is available
                          there that many probably don't see the need to subscribe to this group or
                          just plain don't know that someone started it.

                          The last thing I'm looking to do is trick someone into extra or unnecessary
                          work but there have been so many reports of this problem in the other groups
                          that it's hard to imagine that it isn't the norm. who knows maybe a bunch of
                          us all got units from a bad batch. I sure wouldn't bet my mill on it though.

                          I've had mine apart several times and noticed no changes in pitch or
                          anything else. I'd be afraid to *Not* take a new machine apart. Far far too
                          many stories of casting sand left inside and no lubrication. The procedure
                          to disassemble your gearhead is very nicely laid out step by step in the
                          "Files" section of the minilathe group so many people have had problems. It
                          truely is a resource you would be well served to investigate.

                          I don't have the kind of money it takes to ignore my machines, so to me it's
                          critical that I inspect them and know how to keep them running well. Others
                          may have the financial resources to buy new machines every season or so ( I
                          have friends who do this with cars, just have to have a new one every year.
                          I never understood it but I acknowledge that this mindset exists in the
                          world ).

                          It hasn't been my intention to offend anyone here and I apologize now if I
                          have.

                          Gentlemen, my rant has ended.

                        • boiade@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
                            Dave et al,

                            Please disregard my previous post. As Dave correctly surmised I
                            didn't go as deeply into the bowels of the machine as required. I
                            have no problem taking things apart, I dismantle my race motors all
                            the time. I do, however, like to see (and mark) the engagement of
                            stationary gears so that I can reassemble them the way they have been
                            worn in. Sounds like this is only a problem between the main drive
                            gear and the motor pinion as when you lift the motor you disengage
                            the gears blind. I am not imagining the extra noise though.

                            I will take the bearing cover off and report back any nasties I find
                            in the gear train you speak of.

                            Ciao,

                            Fred
                          • David Audette
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
                              Fred,

                              Did you maybe change the hight of the gears relative to each other ? Check
                              out the files in the minilathe group it illustrates the problem and the fix
                              in a very forthright manner. I'll dig up some websites and post them later
                              on.

                              Dave
                              > Please disregard my previous post. As Dave correctly surmised I
                              > didn't go as deeply into the bowels of the machine as required. I
                              > have no problem taking things apart, I dismantle my race motors all
                              > the time. I do, however, like to see (and mark) the engagement of
                              > stationary gears so that I can reassemble them the way they have been
                              > worn in. Sounds like this is only a problem between the main drive
                              > gear and the motor pinion as when you lift the motor you disengage
                              > the gears blind. I am not imagining the extra noise though.
                              >
                              > I will take the bearing cover off and report back any nasties I find
                              > in the gear train you speak of.
                              >
                              > Ciao,
                              >
                              > Fred

                            • David Audette
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
                                These are a few of the sites offering help and info for the HF/Grizzly
                                mini-mills:

                                http://www.mini-lathe.com/mini_mill/Grizzly7x12.htm

                                http://www.aerocom.ws/bedair/

                                http://www.members.accessus.net/~dwentz/metalworking/mini_mill/first_day.htm

                                http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/Mills/G8689-MiniMill/Project
                                s-Mods/DriveBeltMod/MillBeltMod.html

                                http://www.mini-lathe.com/power_feed.htm

                                http://plsntcov.8m.com/grizzley.html

                                These should be helpfull and give you some ideas about what can be done with
                                these machines.

                                Dave

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 24, 2001
                                  I addition to the excellent advice Ken gave, there was
                                  a ton of molding sand, mold release and basically a
                                  bunch of garbage in my gearbox on the minimill I
                                  bought.

                                  I wrote email to Grizzly about this and got both sets
                                  of bearings replaced free postpaid.

                                  FYI.

                                  Barry

                                  http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 24, 2001
                                    I completely disassembled my new minimill and
                                    painstakingly cleaned and deburred each and every
                                    component before I turned it on. I highly recommend
                                    deburring the lead screws for the table movements and
                                    the spur gear for the elevating mechanism. This will
                                    make your minimill last MUCH longer without having to
                                    make replacement lead nuts.

                                    For lubrication on the stuff that does not spin too
                                    fast I recommend getting a tub of waterproof wheel
                                    bearing grease from the auto parts store and thining
                                    it with motor oil until it is about the consistency of
                                    butter that has been at room temperature for a day or
                                    so. Too stiff and it hampers easay axis movement, too
                                    thin and it runs out.

                                    Barry

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 24, 2001
                                      Nice rant Dave, and I agree totally.

                                      Minimill owners unite! Rant to your hearts content.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 24, 2001
                                        Took off the main gear and the plastic cover held by 3 allen bolts
                                        over the main bearing. The area was clean as a whistle. No metal
                                        shavings no dirt. Sprayed some white lithium grease on the bearing
                                        and closed the mill back up. Still have more noise than when I
                                        opened the thing up. Maybe it will wear in and I'll get that
                                        whirring sound again.

                                        Just to know I'm not hearing things, could any of you who open up the
                                        mill to check for swarf listen before and after dismantling and let
                                        me know if your mill gets noisier after reassembly. I am also
                                        curious as to whether many of the newer HF mini-mills have the metal
                                        shavings in the main bearing area.

                                        Ciao,

                                        Fred