New Table for mini mill?

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
      Anybody tried making a new or longer table for the mini mill? If I could even get 12" of
      travel I'd be happy. I saw a webpage where a fellow made a new table out of the Z column.
      But he lost tee-slots and some Z travel with the thicker column. (He ended up with a stiffer
      table though.)

      It doesn't look like it would be too very hard to machine a new table out of a solid block of
      iron. Am I crazy to consider it? I checked the young's modulus of a low grade of cast iron
      and it wasn't much different than aluminum (12 as opposed to 10). Maybe Aluminum would
      be a better material? I could probably change the section slightly to compensate.

      The other problem I encountered was that the tee-slots aren't parallel to the edges which
      really precluded me from using my vise's keys. I could probably take the whole table to a
      machine shop and have this cleaned up.

      I want to decide what to do with the table before I start fitting my mill with a dro. So I'd
      appreciate any words of wisdom.

      thanks,

      Adam
    • upand_at_them
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
        Wouldn't you need a much larger machine to make an accurate table?

        Mike

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Adam" <adam.cherubini@...>

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
        • Druid Noibn
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
            Hi Adam,

            Nice idea but one wonders if it would be better to sell the present unit and pick up a new one. Of course if you have the material and the shop to build a table, it is a great exercise.

            I did see some tables offered on eBay over the years, but these might not be a good fit, but making them fit is a bit of the "fun."  Also, check the vendors and see what might be available as a repair part.

            As far as the t-slots not being parallel, you could make offset keys that sets the vise correctly.

            Let us know what you find and decide.

            Take care,
            DBN

            Adam <adam.cherubini@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Ray Livingston
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
              Adam,
              Here's what will happen: You'll spend a lot of time, and probably
              a lot more money than you expect, getting a longer tabled fabricated
              and installed, and working to your satisfaction. As soon as you're
              done, you'll notice how limited the Y axis travel is, and want to do
              something about that. Once you get that mod done, you'll notice how
              your accuracy is really limited by the flxing of the column and its
              mount, so you'll spend a bunch of time filling and reinforcing the
              column. And on, and on, and on. Sometime, no doubt several years
              and several suitcases full of money later, you'll realize you've
              spend vast amounts of time and money on a machine that *still*
              doesn't meet your needs. At that point you will have put more money
              into it than it would have cost to buy a larger machine in the first
              place.
              The smart thing to do is to sell the mini mill while it's still
              worth something, bite the bullet, and buy a larger machine. You'll
              not only spend less in the long run, but you'll be doing useful work
              much, much sooner, and not be constantly battling the limitations of
              these little machines. I went through exactly this, before finally
              breaking down and buying a new full-size knee mill last fall, and I
              wish I'd done it years ago.

              Regards,
              Ray L.

              wrote:

              > Anybody tried making a new or longer table for the mini mill? If I
              could even get 12" of
              > travel I'd be happy. I saw a webpage where a fellow made a new
              table out of the Z column.
              > But he lost tee-slots and some Z travel with the thicker column.
              (He ended up with a stiffer
              > table though.)
              >
              > It doesn't look like it would be too very hard to machine a new
              table out of a solid block of
              > iron. Am I crazy to consider it? I checked the young's modulus of
              a low grade of cast iron
              > and it wasn't much different than aluminum (12 as opposed to 10).
              Maybe Aluminum would
              > be a better material? I could probably change the section slightly
              to compensate.

              > The other problem I encountered was that the tee-slots aren't
              parallel to the edges which
              > really precluded me from using my vise's keys. I could probably
              take the whole table to a
              > machine shop and have this cleaned up.
              >
              > I want to decide what to do with the table before I start fitting
              my mill with a dro. So I'd
              > appreciate any words of wisdom.
              >
              > thanks,
              >
              > Adam

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
                Don't even think about wasting your money on this one, it's a scam.
                he's been taking peoples money for over a year and a half and still
                hasn't delivered one table.
                There are several threads on cnczone from people that had enough of his
                lies and postponements.
                http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41023&highlight=cncbridges

                You can check out my finished x2 conversion with 18 inches X and 12
                inches Y travel here. total cost was $400.
                http://www.hossmachine.info/projects_6.html#new%20x%20axis

                Any questions about rigidity are answered in the videos I made showing
                the mill pocketing at up to .125 DOC @ 50 IPM.
                http://www.hossmachine.info/Videos4.html#videos23&24
                Hoss

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "upand_at_them"
                <upand_at_them@...> wrote:

                > And there's this: http://cncbridges.com/home.htm

              • upand_at_them
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
                  Good info.

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <koocha2011@...> wrote:

                  > Don't even think about wasting your money on this one, it's a scam.
                  > he's been taking peoples money for over a year and a half and still
                  > hasn't delivered one table.
                  > There are several threads on cnczone from people that had enough of
                  his
                  > lies and postponements.
                  > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?
                  t=41023&highlight=cncbridges

                  > You can check out my finished x2 conversion with 18 inches X and 12
                  > inches Y travel here. total cost was $400.
                  > http://www.hossmachine.info/projects_6.html#new%20x%20axis
                  >
                  > Any questions about rigidity are answered in the videos I made
                  showing
                  > the mill pocketing at up to .125 DOC @ 50 IPM.
                  > http://www.hossmachine.info/Videos4.html#videos23&24
                  > Hoss
                • Adam
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
                    How about this?

                    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=953096&PMAKA=201-
                    2536

                    ENCO 201-2536 milling table. 11" X, 7" Y travel $125 USD not incl shipping

                    I don't want to waste your time. I think I'm just going to stick with what I have. But I wanted
                    to know what you gentlemen thought.

                    I'm currently milling long slender parts. I chuck them in a vise, mill as far as i can, then
                    reposition the part. As long as I'm careful, this works fine. But this is a time consuming
                    process and I'm not always careful, thus the longer table dream.

                    Adam
                  • Mike Nash
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
                      I just bought one of these for another project. It's $121.95 BTW and if you
                      use the online free shipping code " The ENCO Free UPS Shipping promo code
                      for April is WBAP8" that's the total.

                      It's made in Taiwan and is actually pretty nice. The 11" X travel is fully
                      supported, but you can loosen the two stops on the leadscrew and easily get
                      over 12". The X backlash on mine was pretty decent though I didn't measure
                      it. The Y is not so great. The Y is not fully supported over the 7" travel.
                      The X axis "nut" is a casting in the Y slide while the Y "nut" is a cast
                      piece inserted snugly into the bottom of the Y slide. The screws are 10TPI
                      and look nice except for the scratches that look to be from their
                      workholders or lathe jaws. There are only 2 slots in the table which can be
                      a pain sometimes since there is no center slot.

                      I've got mine apart, so no questions! I'm working on a replacement Y nut out
                      of plastic. The screws are a square thread, not acme, so I hope to sharpen
                      one end of one where it doesn't travel and use that as a tap in the new nut
                      after I rough the threads out. I've got a CNC prototype planned that this is
                      going to be good for.

                      Mike Nash

                      > ENCO 201-2536 milling table. 11" X, 7" Y travel $125 USD not incl
                      > shipping
                      >
                      > I don't want to waste your time. I think I'm just going to stick with
                      > what I have. But I wanted
                      > to know what you gentlemen thought.
                      >
                      > I'm currently milling long slender parts. I chuck them in a vise, mill as
                      > far as i can, then
                      > reposition the part. As long as I'm careful, this works fine. But this
                      > is a time consuming
                      > process and I'm not always careful, thus the longer table dream.
                      >
                      > Adam
                    • Dave Mucha
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
                        If you want a longer table, it is pretty simple. kinda expensive, but
                        simple.

                        For about $125 you can buy the X/Y table from Enco.
                        for some more $$ you can buy some 2"x3" thick walled steel tubing and
                        weld up a frame and platform.

                        you will not really gain any more Y travel as the Enco table does no
                        have the dovetails under the Y for the entire movement. Poor design
                        to limit it so badly.

                        But, you would have a longer table for about half the price of a new
                        mini-mill.

                        Another way to go is to get a larger mill and sell your mini to a friend.

                        Dave

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
                          Hi Mike:

                          Nope! I made my 60x12 inch table without a larger
                          machine.

                          Barry

                          --- upand_at_them <upand_at_them@...> wrote:

                          > Wouldn't you need a much larger machine to make an
                          > accurate table?
                          >
                          > Mike
                          >
                          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Adam"
                          > <adam.cherubini@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Anybody tried making a new or longer table for the
                          > mini mill?

                          > (Yahoo! ID required)
                          >
                          > mailto:GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          Be a better friend, newshound, and
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 28, 2008
                            Please do not link to CNCBridges or any DeWayne Harlow
                            scam using this Yahoo Group.

                            This person takes peoples money then does not deliver.
                            Eventually he paid back most of the 40 or so people
                            who sent him money but I do not know if they all got
                            refunds or not.

                            Barry

                            --- upand_at_them <upand_at_them@...> wrote:

                            > And there's this: http://cncbridges.com/home.htm

                            > (Yahoo! ID required)
                            >
                            > mailto:GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            Be a better friend, newshound, and
                          • Brad Scoggins
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 29, 2008
                              Barry,

                              I sure don't want to muck up your list with this guy, but I thought bringing it up may help someone else.

                              I have not received all of my money back from this individual .  I have given up trying to get anything directly out of him and have proceeded down the following path.  In addition to filing fraud charges with state and local agencies, I have procured the website www.cncbridgesscam.com and am working on getting up a blog/forum about this whole sham.  Anyone else who has interest in contributing is more than welcome.

                              My hope is that it stops more good people from being taken advantage of.  The fact that he still has that ridiculous monthly countdown on his site is a motivating force.

                              Regards,
                              Brad Scoggins

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                                Hi Brad:

                                No problem. If you can keep people from getting ripped
                                off, I am behind you 100%.

                                I got my money back from DeWayne, and so did some
                                others, but many have not. I took a lot of heat at CNC
                                Zone for voicing an opinion about DeWayne. Most of the
                                people who objected have changed their minds now. I
                                only received my money after filing fraud comlaints
                                with the ICCC and local authorities.

                                Hopefully you get your money back.

                                An honest person could make a lot of money
                                manufacturing a larger table for the minimill.

                                Barry

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                                  Barry,

                                  I agree 100% about the larger table.

                                  Thanks for your support.  I'll send a group email once the site is up to let folks know it's available.

                                  Thanks again,