Flycutters

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 3 10:13 AM
      Hi

      I am Keith and have a Chester mill which is the equivalent of your mills.

      I have a job which requires a semicircle of 11/16" rad to be cut out of some 1/16" brass strip.

      I was thinking of using a flycutter, and wondered if any of you gurus can give me the angle that the tool steel sits at.

      I have not been able to locate a fly cutter in the UK that will go that small.

      Many thanks in advance

      Best Regards

      Keith Martin

      Leeds U.K.
    • Jose
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 3 1:05 PM
        Hi Keith,

        Isn't a boring head more useful for that kind of job? (or am I missing something?)

        Regards,
        Jose
        http://www.machinery.jhost.co.uk
        ---
        Hi

        I am Keith and have a Chester mill which is the equivalent of your mills.

        I have a job which requires a semicircle of 11/16" rad to be cut out of some 1/16" brass strip.

        I was thinking of using a flycutter, and wondered if any of you gurus can give me the angle that the tool steel sits at.

        I have not been able to locate a fly cutter in the UK that will go that small.

        Many thanks in advance

        Best Regards

        Keith Martin

        Leeds U.K.
      • gerry waclawiak
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3 1:53 PM
          Keith,
          I'm with Jose on this one, a boring head is definitely the way to go. I have bored 1/2" cylinders with my 2". I haven't seen a fly cutter that small either.

          RDg tools do suitable decent quality boring head sets quite cheaply from their shop in Hebden Bridge

          Gerry
          Leeds UK

          To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
          From: photo.machinery@...
          Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:05:52 +0000
          Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Flycutters

          Hi Keith,

          Isn't a boring head more useful for that kind of job? (or am I missing something?)

          Regards,
          Jose
          http://www.machiner y.jhost.co. uk
          ---

          Hi

          I am Keith and have a Chester mill which is the equivalent of your mills.

          I have a job which requires a semicircle of 11/16" rad to be cut out of some 1/16" brass strip.

          I was thinking of using a flycutter, and wondered if any of you gurus can give me the angle that the tool steel sits at.

          I have not been able to locate a fly cutter in the UK that will go that small.

          Many thanks in advance

          Best Regards

          Keith Martin

          Leeds U.K.

          Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!
        • Allyn Thompson
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3 2:30 PM

            Keith, wouldn’t it be easier and faster to fabricate a punch and punch them out? It is only 1’16” after all.

            AL T

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3 2:53 PM
              No it would be less accurate and would probably dent the brass.

              Best Regards

              Keith Martin

              Leeds U.K.
              Keith, wouldn’t it be easier and faster to fabricate a punch and punch them out? It is only 1’16” after all.

              AL T

              I am Keith and have a Chester mill which is the equivalent of your mills.

              I have a job which requires a semicircle of 11/16" rad to be cut out of some 1/16" brass strip.

              I was thinking of using a flycutter, and wondered if any of you gurus can give me the angle that the tool steel sits at.

              I have not been able to locate a fly cutter in the UK that will go that small.

              Many thanks in advance

              Best Regards

              Keith Martin

              Leeds U.K.

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3 2:55 PM
                Hi

                the problem is it is a one off job and can you get a boring head that small?

                Best Regards

                Keith Martin

                Leeds U.K.

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3 3:05 PM
                  Hi Keith,

                  A boring head is an adjustable tool holder. Good for this job and lots of others. Look at:
                  http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/boring_head/boring_head-e.htm

                  You can adjust it for any radius from a really very small one until the maximum (normally never less than 1").

                  Regards,
                  Jose
                  http://www.machinery.jhost.co.uk
                • Joe Knesek
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 3 3:15 PM
                    I would use a core drill. I've used them for years and they are far less likely to distort the brass. You can order them from http://www.lunzer.com/ in any diameter you need.

                    E.J. Knesek III
                    Lyndhurst, Ohio

                    To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 3 3:21 PM

                      I would really like to see how that is set up. He states he wants to cut a “semi circle”.

                      That is only half a circle. However you are probably correct using the boring bar.  But what an angle

                      he is going to cut at.  Do I understand this correct?  Only half a circle?

                      AL T

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 4 12:08 AM
                        Hi

                        A strip of brass 5/8" wide with 5 X 11/16" radius half circles removed.

                        Should be a simple job but having made an attempt at a flycutter, the problem was the base rubbing on the brass because of the small diameter.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 4 1:00 AM
                          I think he wants to take a scalloped "bit" out of the edge of the thin plate like a wheel arch. If this is so I have done it many times to form  supports for tanks and barrells in railway wagons I have built. The plate is clamped horizontally and the head is set to the approximate radius and then fed in horizontally using the y feed taking an intermittent cut (so gently does it) untill it is the right distance in. Adjust the X and then start again.

                          Gerry
                          Leeds UK

                          To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                          From: photo.machinery@ gmail.com
                          Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:05:52 +0000

                          Hi Keith,

                          Isn't a boring head more useful for that kind of job? (or am I missing something?)

                          Regards,
                          Jose
                          http://www.machiner y.jhost.co. uk
                          ---

                          Hi

                          I am Keith and have a Chester mill which is the equivalent of your mills.

                          I have a job which requires a semicircle of 11/16" rad to be cut out of some 1/16" brass strip.

                          I was thinking of using a flycutter, and wondered if any of you gurus can give me the angle that the tool steel sits at.

                          I have not been able to locate a fly cutter in the UK that will go that small.

                          Many thanks in advance

                          Best Regards

                          Keith Martin

                          Leeds U.K.

                          Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!

                          Sounds like? How many syllables? Guess and win prizes with Search Charades!
                        • gerry waclawiak
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 4 1:05 AM
                            A typical boring head has two vertical and one horizontal hole for the boring bar. One of the vertical is at the centre the other offset to the circumference.. By using the centre hole you can bore holes little larger than the diameter of the cutter. I have done 8mm counterbore for bolt heads up to about 3". This is with a 2" head. Smaller heads (35mm) are available in the UK.

                            The boring head is quite versatilke and I regarded mine as a good investment

                            Gerry
                            Leeds UK

                            To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                            From: photo.machinery@ gmail.com
                            Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:05:52 +0000

[...]

                            Think you know your TV, music and film? Try Search Charades!
                          • Keith Martin
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 4 1:42 AM
                              Hi

                              Ok guys I have taken your advice and ordered a boring head from Chronos who have a pivot head one on offer for £29.95 inc P&P

                              Thanks for your help

                              Best Regards

                              Keith Martin

                              Leeds U.K.

                              To: GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 4 12:39 PM

                                Thanks Gerry, you are probably correct in your description, but if you are, why would he need a flycutter?

                                I would use an end mill and be done with it.  Just taking it in a little at a time would certainly be the

                                way to go. I took his meaning to say he was going to cut the thing in the center of stock, If that

                                had been true, it put me at a loss as to how he was to cut it at all. Well, I live and learn. I certainly

                                appreciate you giving me the proper way he was to cut it.  Thanks again, Gerry.

                                I still don’t understand why he is using a flycutter.  I hope he gives us a look at it when he is finished.

                                If I were to cut it I think I would use the proper endmill, place the brass between two slabs of wood and clamp it tight’

                                then come straight down on it. The wood would (wood would?) hold the brass close and prevent tearing or moving.

                                I think.

                                AL T

                                San Antonio, Texas

                                To: GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 4 3:35 PM
                                  If I remember correctly he wanted a radius of 11/16" which would make an end mill too large for the machine and was improvising the fly cutter by adjusting the length to suit by sliding the cutting tool in the slot.

                                  If the cut was smaller then an end mill used the way you describe would work well for thin material

                                  Gerry
                                  Leeds UK

                                  To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                                  To: GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com

                                  From: photo.machinery@ gmail.com
                                  Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:05:52 +0000

[...]

                                  She said what? About who? Shameful celebrity quotes on Search Star!
                                • Allyn Thompson
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 4 11:26 PM

                                    Boy oh boy, Gerry, you have all the answers. But I am not yet 80 years old so maybe I’ll learn something yet.

                                    Thanks again for your explanation. Now I’m going to go sulk.

                                    AL T

                                    San Antonio, Texas

                                    To: GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 5 12:03 AM
                                      Hi Al,

                                      just an answer that I have from experience, you learn fast when you need to. I've only been doing this as a hobby for 4 years so I've a way to go yet.

                                      Thats one of the great things about these groups, you can normally find someone who's done what you want to do and they lend a hand.

                                      Gerry
                                      Leeds UK

                                      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                                      To: GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com

                                      From: photo.machinery@ gmail.com
                                      Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:05:52 +0000

[...]

                                      Everything in one place… All new Windows Live!
                                    • Allyn Thompson
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 5 1:08 AM

                                        Right you are Gerry.

                                        To: GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com