Re: LMS 3" heavy vise seems awfully big

  • Harry Eales
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
      Hello Kyle,

      I use a 3" wide jawed precision vice for almost all my milling. You
      are correct in thinking it looks large on a small table like that of
      an X2 Mill but it does enable you to hold parts being machined very
      firmly.

      I wouldn't worry about how much travel you have on the Y axis. If the
      job is too large to clamp securely in the vice and get the tool
      around all the faces of the part, then you really need to clamp the
      workpiece to the table rather than use the vice. Machining any part
      that overhangs the area of the vice jaws will encourage vibration and
      that does not lead to good accuracy in machining.

      If the part you want to machine is too large to be accomodated within
      the movement of travel of the X, Y or X axees then you have two
      choices, machine in part, then move the workpiece and machine again
      (Not always easy or practical) or get a larger mill. All tools have
      their limitations unfortunately.

      Harry

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kylejoiner" <kylejoiner@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > My Micromark mill and lathe arrived last week and I'm in the
      process of
      > starting the cleanup and mounting process. While I had the mill
      table
      > out on the bench, I set the vise on it. The vise is a LMS #1699 3"
      > precision heavy vise. This vise seems really big for the mill and
      > looks like it will reduce the Y axis travel. Does anyone else use
      this
      > large of a vise? I like the Kurt style downward locking and the
      swivel
      > base but have I gone too big? What do most of you use?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Kyle

    • redchief344
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
        Kyle,

        I too purchased an LMS # 1699 vise when I first got my mini-mill and
        found it a bit large. I have subsequently switched to a screwless type,
        LMS # 2356, and find this vise gives me more "Z" axis clearance.

        Bill
      • Dave Mucha
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
          I use the 3" as my main vise. it is too large and too heavey for the
          machine, but it is strong and sturdy.

          I think someone needs to make a much smaller 4" vise with much of the
          same features and dimmentions, but not the mass.

          These machines do not need this much mass.

          But, I have not found a good alternative.

          Dave