Re: 12" x 6" MAGNETIC cHUCK

  • moparado
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
      onebiker,
      The link Mike published far as i can tell has to do with magnetically
      attracting NON-ferrous metal objects specifically aluminum as
      referenced in that link. De-gaussing (de-magnetizing) ferrous metal
      with AC is nothing new. Heating and or pounding magnetized steel will
      also tend to de-magnetize as this dis-orients or un-realigns the
      polarized molecules in magnetized steel.
      The opposite of this for example is when a screw driver needs to be
      magnetized. A strong magnet repeatedly run along the screw driver's
      shaft in the same direction will align the magnetic North-South
      vectors of the steel's molecular structure in the same direction
      allowing the screw driver shaft to be a permanent magnet with
      definite North-South poles. With current technology, this magnetizing
      procedure does not work for non-ferrous metals.

      Sometimes a magnetized screw driver is a blessing and other times its
      a PITA.
      -Ken