Re: Belt Drive

  • clt469
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 23 10:56 AM
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "clt469" <clt469@y...> wrote:
      > Has anyone tried the belt-dirve mod that's in the current issue
      > of Machinist Workshop? ....

      All - I appologise for this post! I no sooner posted it than
      I did what I should have first and did a search! I guess we sometimes
      forget about that. Many good posts on the mod. I'll see if I
      can find the Mag.

      Courtney
    • clt469
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 23 10:56 AM

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23 10:56 AM
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "clt469" <clt469@y...> wrote:
          > Has anyone tried the belt-dirve mod that's in the current issue
          > of Machinist Workshop? ....

          All - I appologise for this post! I no sooner posted it than
          I did what I should have first and did a search! I guess we sometimes
          forget about that. Many good posts on the mod. I'll see if I
          can find the Mag.

          Courtney
        • Frederick S
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2006
            Despite the couple of issues I ran into installing the belt drive, I
            consider those very minor. I understand the variation on Seig mills.
            I would say its worth every bit of penny I spent on it... Its now a joy to
            run the mill... It runs 500% smoother and 1000% quieter. I would like to
            thank Ron Steele for making the product available. I definitely consider
            this a MAJOR upgrade to the mill.
          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17 8:59 AM
              I have picked up the aluminum for Jerry's belt drive from Metal
              Supermarkets, for $44.35. I notice that the plans show a "Hall Effect"
              pickup and rare earth magnet. Are there any plans for the tachometer?

              Thanks John, from Indiana and Florida
            • John Rudd
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 17 9:02 AM
                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "John" <John5701@...> wrote:

                > I have picked up the aluminum for Jerry's belt drive from Metal
                > Supermarkets, for $44.35. I notice that the plans show a "Hall
                Effect"
                > pickup and rare earth magnet. Are there any plans for the tachometer?
                >
                > Thanks John, from Indiana and Florida

                John,

                AFAIK, there arent any plans for a tacho.

                However I am willing to share a schematic that I have.

                You may need to alter the input circuitry to suit a Hall effect device.

                The tacho is based on a 16F628A pic and the display is a 16*2 line lcd.

                You will need a programmer to program the pic.
              • Dave Mucha
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 18 8:33 PM
                  http://www.josepino.com/pic_projects/index.php?tachometer2.jpc

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "John" <John5701@...> wrote:

                  > I have picked up the aluminum for Jerry's belt drive from Metal
                  > Supermarkets, for $44.35. I notice that the plans show a "Hall Effect"
                  > pickup and rare earth magnet. Are there any plans for the tachometer?
                  >
                  > Thanks John, from Indiana and Florida

                • Mike Payson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 18 9:48 PM
                    Or how about this one:

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Non-Contact-Digital-Photo-Tachometer-RPM-Rotation_W0QQitemZ160271489565QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160271489565&_trkparms=72%3A552|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

                    aka http://tinyurl.com/6psfqz

                    Cheap, and you only need one tach for all your machines.

                    On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Dave Mucha <dave_mucha@...> wrote:
                    > http://www.josepino.com/pic_projects/index.php?tachometer2.jpc
                    >
                    > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "John" <John5701@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I have picked up the aluminum for Jerry's belt drive from Metal
                    >> Supermarkets, for $44.35. I notice that the plans show a "Hall Effect"
                    >> pickup and rare earth magnet. Are there any plans for the tachometer?
                    >>
                    >> Thanks John, from Indiana and Florida

                  • Les Jones
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 19 1:00 AM
                      Hi,
                      I have built tachometers for my lathe and my X3 mill. They are
                      both basicly the same design. One uses a PIC16C84 the other uses a
                      PIC16F628A There is also a 7447 7 segment decoder and 4 transistors
                      for digit drives. The design just counts pulses from the existing
                      gears on the spindles. (One has 45 teeth the other 34) This design is
                      not suitable for a one pulse per revolution sensor but the basic
                      design could be modified to measure the time of one revolution and
                      calculate the revs from that. If anyone is interested I will put the
                      source code and circuit in the files section. The source code also has
                      the gate time calculations at the begining so you can see how to
                      modify the code to suit gears with a different number of teeth.
                      Les. (In the UK)

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@...>
                      wrote:

                      > http://www.josepino.com/pic_projects/index.php?tachometer2.jpc
                      >
                      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "John" <John5701@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have picked up the aluminum for Jerry's belt drive from Metal
                      > > Supermarkets, for $44.35. I notice that the plans show a "Hall
                      Effect"
                      > > pickup and rare earth magnet. Are there any plans for the tachometer?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks John, from Indiana and Florida

                    • Tony Smith
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 19 6:28 AM
                        > I have picked up the aluminum for Jerry's belt drive from
                        > Metal Supermarkets, for $44.35. I notice that the plans show
                        > a "Hall Effect"
                        > pickup and rare earth magnet. Are there any plans for the tachometer?

                        It's quick, dirty & cheap, but some bicycle speedos have an RPM setting.

                        It's just occurred to me that if you set the wheel size correctly (eg for a
                        grinder) you could get surface speed.

                        Tony
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 19 8:45 AM
                          Hi Les:

                          You bet, by all means upload the source code and schematic.

                          Thank you.

                          Barry