Re: what I got for christmas

  • Dave Mucha
    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 4, 2008
      I got and MT3 x ER-32 collet chuck.

      > > I got all three editions of
      > > "The Machinist's Bedside Reader" for Christmas
      > > and the ceramic rod to true up the chuck jaws was in there

      > Got an indicator and some other tooling, for Christmas,
    • dak_1953
      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 6, 2008
        Update ....

        I disassembled, cleaned and debured one of my keyless chucks. After
        reassembling I checked it with my edge finder. Still showing 0.006"
        runout. Took it apart again and carefully hand lapped the jaw that
        was forcing the edge finder farthest in. Checked again and found some
        change. After several tries I got it down to 0.0015". Seemed pretty
        good so I checked several more times after re-chucking it. Fairly
        consistent with a max of 0.002" and min of 0.001". OK, so now try
        some bits for comparison. Took a 7/64" bit, 0.005", not so good. A
        1/2" bit, 0.012", Arrggggg. A 7/16" bit, 0.008", that's it, I'm done.

        The test prior to the final lapping of the jaw gave me about 0.003" so
        I took the outer shell off and put a little light oil on the jaws then
        reassembled it. Checked again and it was at 0.013"????

        I'm concluding that this Chinese drill chuck is JUNK!

        It's time to order a good one and stop wasting my time trying to make
        these things accurate. I'll probably try an SPI unless I happen to
        get lucky and win an Albrecht on eBay.

        Thanks for all the advise.

        Dan