Harbor Freight 2-speed variable Mini Mill /Drill Machine model # 44991-Reviews

  • archeryates
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hi All:
      Harbor Freight local store is 5-minutes away.
      I am considering buying the Model 44991. I have posted the same on the 9x20 lath group
      discussion board and received generally favorable reviews considering its limitations.
      I plan to use the chuck for drilling operations and a R8 taper end mill holder for collets
      for end mills.
      Have you any experience with runout with this machine with either the JT33 chuck or R8 taper
      end mill holder?
      Do you have any comments or a review ?
    • Mike West
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
        I use R8 collets to hold my end mills (cheap chinese collets) and have
        never had any run-out problems.
        The chuck that comes with the mill seems to be universally horrible,
        mine had .009". I replaced it with a Rohm chuck from Enco (on the
        origional arbor), and now have .002". I'd like to try and improve it
        further, but havent got round to it.
        Theres a discussion going on now about cheap chucks and run out.
        The 44991 is an X2, if you didnt already know this.
        Mike

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "archeryates" <ay42bp@...> wrote:

        > Hi All:
        > Harbor Freight local store is 5-minutes away.
        > I am considering buying the Model 44991. I have posted the same on
        the 9x20 lath group
        > discussion board and received generally favorable reviews considering
        its limitations.
        > I plan to use the chuck for drilling operations and a R8 taper end
        mill holder for collets
        > for end mills.
        > Have you any experience with runout with this machine with either the
        JT33 chuck or R8 taper
        > end mill holder?
        > Do you have any comments or a review ?

      • ricvic48
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "archeryates" <ay42bp@...> wrote:

          > Hi All:
          > Harbor Freight local store is 5-minutes away.
          > I am considering buying the Model 44991. I have posted the same on
          the 9x20 lath group
          > discussion board and received generally favorable reviews
          considering its limitations.
          > I plan to use the chuck for drilling operations and a R8 taper end
          mill holder for collets
          > for end mills.
          > Have you any experience with runout with this machine with either
          the JT33 chuck or R8 taper
          > end mill holder?
          > Do you have any comments or a review ?

          If you'd like a better price on the mini-mill than HF, contact
          customer service at cumminstools.com (not affiliated) for a schedule
          of their upcoming truck sales to find out when they will be having a
          sale near you. Of course, you can order one from their website if you
          don't mind paying the shipping- ouch!
        • Cliff. Johnston
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
            Hmmm, truck sales?  I'll have to give them a holler.

            Cliff.
            "May the best you've ever seen,
             Be the worst you'll ever see;"
            from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay
            > Harbor Freight local store is 5-minutes away.
            > I am considering buying the Model 44991. I have posted the same on
            the 9x20 lath group
            > discussion board and received generally favorable reviews
            considering its limitations.
            > I plan to use the chuck for drilling operations and a R8 taper end
            mill holder for collets
            > for end mills.
            > Have you any experience with runout with this machine with either
            the JT33 chuck or R8 taper
            > end mill holder?
            > Do you have any comments or a review ?

            If you'd like a better price on the mini-mill than HF, contact
            customer service at cumminstools. com (not affiliated) for a schedule
            of their upcoming truck sales to find out when they will be having a
            sale near you. Of course, you can order one from their website if you
            don't mind paying the shipping- ouch!

          • Dave Mucha
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff. Johnston"
              <moments-in-time@...> wrote:

              > Hmmm, truck sales? I'll have to give them a holler.
              >

              > If you'd like a better price on the mini-mill than HF, contact
              > customer service at cumminstools.com (not affiliated) for a schedule
              > of their upcoming truck sales to find out when they will be having a
              > sale near you.

              might as well contact Homier.com and sign up for their contact list.
              they will only ever tell you 2 weeks in advance. Seems Cummings and
              Homier love to play the "who can get to town first"

              Homier used to have the mini-mill at all the shows. seems to be more
              limited now.

              Dave
            • ricvic48
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff. Johnston"
                > <moments-in-time@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hmmm, truck sales? I'll have to give them a holler.
                > >

                > > If you'd like a better price on the mini-mill than HF, contact
                > > customer service at cumminstools.com (not affiliated) for a schedule
                > > of their upcoming truck sales to find out when they will be having a
                > > sale near you.
                >
                > might as well contact Homier.com and sign up for their contact list.
                > they will only ever tell you 2 weeks in advance. Seems Cummings and
                > Homier love to play the "who can get to town first"
                >
                > Homier used to have the mini-mill at all the shows. seems to be more
                > limited now.
                >
                > Dave

                Yeah,
                I bought mine from Homier right after Thanksgiving in 2002.
                My Dad decided to buy one last month, so I searched Homier's website
                for the mini-mill, but couldn't find it listed there. I checked with
                Cummins Tools and they had it listed for $399.99- the same price I paid
                for mine through Homier.
                Cummins had a one day truck sale about two miles away on December 15,
                so we met at the sale and Dad got his mini-mill. They (Cummins) had
                one listed on eBay for $385.00, but the shipping on it was $120.00,
                which to many, is something to consider for a machine that one or two
                people
                can easily handle in the required transporting.

                Ric S.
              • crknox2001
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                  I printed out the page from Cummins web site, took that and a 15% off
                  coupon to HF - they honored both. What a deal! BTW, the "assistant
                  manager" had to make two phone calls to get approval but it was well
                  worth the 20 minutes I had to wait.

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ricvic48" <ricvic48@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff. Johnston"
                  > > <moments-in-time@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hmmm, truck sales? I'll have to give them a holler.
                  > > >

                  > > > If you'd like a better price on the mini-mill than HF, contact
                  > > > customer service at cumminstools.com (not affiliated) for a
                  schedule
                  > > > of their upcoming truck sales to find out when they will be
                  having a
                  > > > sale near you.
                  > >
                  > > might as well contact Homier.com and sign up for their contact
                  list.
                  > > they will only ever tell you 2 weeks in advance. Seems Cummings
                  and
                  > > Homier love to play the "who can get to town first"
                  > >
                  > > Homier used to have the mini-mill at all the shows. seems to be
                  more
                  > > limited now.
                  > >
                  > > Dave
                  > >

                  > Yeah,
                  > I bought mine from Homier right after Thanksgiving in 2002.
                  > My Dad decided to buy one last month, so I searched Homier's website
                  > for the mini-mill, but couldn't find it listed there. I checked with
                  > Cummins Tools and they had it listed for $399.99- the same price I
                  paid
                  > for mine through Homier.
                  > Cummins had a one day truck sale about two miles away on December
                  15,
                  > so we met at the sale and Dad got his mini-mill. They (Cummins) had
                  > one listed on eBay for $385.00, but the shipping on it was $120.00,
                  > which to many, is something to consider for a machine that one or
                  two
                  > people
                  > can easily handle in the required transporting.
                  >
                  > Ric S.

                • moparado
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                    I bought my mill and lathe from a local Homier retail store a few years
                    ago also. Shortly after i bought it, the mill and lathe disappeared
                    from their website. Haven't checked their site in a while, but Homier
                    could of discontinued carrying the mini machines. I also went to one of
                    their truck sales a year ago and no mini machines were in sight.
                    -Ken
                    _______________________
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Yeah, I just checked Homier.  They have zip listed right now for lathes and mills, but, just in case, I signed up...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                        <moments-in-time@...> wrote:

                        > Yeah, I just checked Homier. They have zip listed right now for
                        lathes and mills, but, just in case, I signed up...

                        Homier really SUCKS for their web inventory. if a part goes out of
                        stock, they just remove it from the web. no 'out of stock', no
                        nothing, just gone.

                        Send them a request for the thing,use the HF number for reference as
                        they keep tabs on what HF is doing.

                        I sent a request for a part that had not been on their site for some
                        time, and presto ! a few weeks later, it was up on the site. sold
                        out, then dropped off again.

                        Dave
                      • Cliff. Johnston
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
                          I sent them an email asking them about any future truck sales in the Houston area.  They replied that I should email my request after Jan. 14...hmmm, not the best marketing set-up.