SS. finish

  • Martin Rowe
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
      Does anyone know a way to take and drarken S.S. so it's not so shinny,
      some chemical ? thanks Martin
    • harryeales@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
        Hello Martin,
        Other than having it plated with a coating of iron or steel and then 'blueing' it, as firearms are, the only suggestion I can make is to have it sand or bead blasted, which will dull the surface somewhat, and make it less reflective.

        Several Gun Manufacturers have plated SS barrels in the past and then chemically blued them.

        Harry

        In a message dated 30/12/2007 17:59:36 GMT Standard Time, wistlepig1@... writes:
        Does anyone know a way to take and drarken S.S. so it's not so shinny,
        some chemical ? thanks Martin

      • John Hammond
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
          Martin,

          Or use one of the many firearm coatings available from Brownells:

          http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=751&p=4798

          John

          At 13:18 12/30/2007 -0500, you wrote:
          Hello Martin,
          Other than having it plated with a coating of iron or steel and then 'blueing' it, as firearms are, the only suggestion I can make is to have it sand or bead blasted, which will dull the surface somewhat, and make it less reflective.

          Several Gun Manufacturers have plated SS barrels in the past and then chemically blued them.

          Harry

          In a message dated 30/12/2007 17:59:36 GMT Standard Time, wistlepig1@... writes:
          Does anyone know a way to take and drarken S.S. so it's not so shinny,
          some chemical ? thanks Martin
        • Dave Mucha
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Rowe" <wistlepig1@...>
            wrote:

            > Does anyone know a way to take and drarken S.S. so it's not so shinny,
            > some chemical ? thanks Martin

            It can be done. just a closely guarded secret.

            http://gunblue.homestead.com/stainless.html

            http://du-lite.com/

            I think this is a question for the guys who do guns.

            Dave
          • fkunc
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
              wrote:

              > Does anyone know a way to take and drarken S.S. so it's not so shinny,
              > some chemical ? thanks Martin

              Why do you want it darkened? Is if for aesthetics only or some other
              reason? Does the color need to remain the same and just be less
              reflective or do you want to colorize it? How durable does the finish
              need to be, and does it make any difference if it ads a few thou to
              the surface as coatings would? Also, how much trouble and expense are
              you willing to go to to get the results?
            • Brian Pitt
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
                On Sunday 30 December 2007 09:59, Martin Rowe wrote:
                > Does anyone know a way to take and drarken S.S. so it's not so shinny,
                > some chemical ? thanks Martin

                bead blast then dip it in Caswell Stainless Steel Blackener 370
                http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm#stainless

                Brian
                --
                "Nemo me impune lacesset"
              • Martin Rowe
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Thanks to all for the suggestion, beadblasting sounds to be the best
                  to nockoff the shine. I will see if I can find someone in my area that
                  has a booth. Martin