Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: (document.all)

  • Jim E.
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 7:24 AM
      I haven't seen that many attachments in our mailings. Our files and
      photo areas are still open, so there is an alternative to attachments.
      I know MLProjects (or MLHints, can't remember) had to turn them off for
      awhile until their attacks waned.

      Graciously,
      Jim
      Lakewood, CA
      All Hail Rube Goldberg!

      Dave Audette wrote:

      > Why turn off the attachments ?
      >
      > Has anyone on the list actually downloaded this virus ? I think everyone is
      > aware of the problem, turning off the attachments only prevents members from
      > sending pictures. It's not a difficult bullet to dodge, you have to infect
      > yourself.
      >
      > The problem probably lies with non-members being able to post to the group.
      >
      > The virus itself is nothing more than an irritation, it's just one more
      > post to be deleted. Why make the irritation worse by killing the
      > attachments that tend to be usefull ?
      >
      > As long as everyone in the group has taken even *basic* steps to protect
      > themselves then this just isn't an issue. Nobody in this group or on the
      > internet for that matter should be vulnerable to this. These kinds of posts
      > are going to keep appearing here and elsewhere. Keeping your computer
      > protected and updated is the answer, not restricting the attachments in the
      > groups. Every computer here should be secure against this, there's just no
      > excuse not to be.
      >
      > Dave
      > Worcester, Mass
      > www.broncosaurus.net

    • Dave Audette
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 8:52 AM
        True but that situation was considerable different. The group was receiving
        10 to 15 virus attachments *every hour* from a hijacked ID and was being
        jammed up. I believe JWE turned off the attachments for about a day until
        he blocked the sender.

        That's the only instance that comes to mind. These .exe files have been
        coming in for several weeks now, you can turn off the attachments for a week
        or even a month, but then what ?????? What happens when then very next one
        comes in ? Do we just leave the attachments off permanently then ?

        This is an irritation and part of being online wither we like it or not.
        Briefly shutting down attachments is appropriate to halt a serious &
        persistent attack but that's not what we have here. The only way we're going
        to *never* have this as a problem is to turn off the attachments and leave
        them off and that's ridiculous.

        The solution is to be aware of the problem and take appropriate precautions
        on your own computer.

        Dave
        Worcester, Mass
        www.broncosaurus.net

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4 11:03 AM
          Probably a good idea. Thank you. Man I hate doing
          this.

          Barry Young

          http://health.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4 11:04 AM
            Hi Dave:

            I did make it so that only members can post.

            I hope that will be enough.

            Barry Young

            http://health.yahoo.com