Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: (document.all)

  • Dave Audette
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
      Why turn off the attachments ?

      Has anyone on the list actually downloaded this virus ? I think everyone is
      aware of the problem, turning off the attachments only prevents members from
      sending pictures. It's not a difficult bullet to dodge, you have to infect
      yourself.

      The problem probably lies with non-members being able to post to the group.

      The virus itself is nothing more than an irritation, it's just one more
      post to be deleted. Why make the irritation worse by killing the
      attachments that tend to be usefull ?

      As long as everyone in the group has taken even *basic* steps to protect
      themselves then this just isn't an issue. Nobody in this group or on the
      internet for that matter should be vulnerable to this. These kinds of posts
      are going to keep appearing here and elsewhere. Keeping your computer
      protected and updated is the answer, not restricting the attachments in the
      groups. Every computer here should be secure against this, there's just no
      excuse not to be.

      Dave
      Worcester, Mass
      www.broncosaurus.net

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
        I haven't seen that many attachments in our mailings. Our files and
        photo areas are still open, so there is an alternative to attachments.
        I know MLProjects (or MLHints, can't remember) had to turn them off for
        awhile until their attacks waned.

        Graciously,
        Jim
        Lakewood, CA
        All Hail Rube Goldberg!

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
          True but that situation was considerable different. The group was receiving
          10 to 15 virus attachments *every hour* from a hijacked ID and was being
          jammed up. I believe JWE turned off the attachments for about a day until
          he blocked the sender.

          That's the only instance that comes to mind. These .exe files have been
          coming in for several weeks now, you can turn off the attachments for a week
          or even a month, but then what ?????? What happens when then very next one
          comes in ? Do we just leave the attachments off permanently then ?

          This is an irritation and part of being online wither we like it or not.
          Briefly shutting down attachments is appropriate to halt a serious &
          persistent attack but that's not what we have here. The only way we're going
          to *never* have this as a problem is to turn off the attachments and leave
          them off and that's ridiculous.

          The solution is to be aware of the problem and take appropriate precautions
          on your own computer.

          Dave
          Worcester, Mass
          www.broncosaurus.net

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
            Probably a good idea. Thank you. Man I hate doing
            this.

            Barry Young

            http://health.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
              Hi Dave:

              I did make it so that only members can post.

              I hope that will be enough.

              Barry Young

              http://health.yahoo.com