Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Ringlight added to Mini-mill

  • Druid Noibn
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi Mike,

      It's a good idea and application - thanks for sharing.

      The point of adding a shield is a good one, more for keeping the lamp and the contacts clean - the spray and swarf does get everywhere.

      Probably best to make up several out of very thin material and after it gets a bit messed up and scratched, just replace it.

      I would be happy to review your article for journal submission <smile>.

      Again - GOOD JOB!

      Take care,
      DBN

      Mike West <sorekiwi@...> wrote:
      Actually the same vendor has LED ring-lights starting at about $70. I
      was just being cheap.

      Mike

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:29:37 -0500, you wrote:
      >
      > >But isn't a fluorescent tube by its nature cool to the touch?
      >
      > Hotter than you think. You want zero problems? Get LEDs...
      >
      > They can be sealed without any real difficulty at the power levels
      > you're likely to use.
      >
      > Harvey

    • Dave Mucha
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston"
        <jagboy1964@...> wrote:

        > Jack,
        >
        > Cooler than INcandescent, but not cool. They still get warm,
        > and don't take kindly to thermal shock.

        I have never seen a floursent bulb go bad because it got splashed. I
        am not fond of the idea of the contacts being exposed. an acrylic
        shield would be super simple to make and does not need to do more than
        keep the splashes off.

        You can find these locally with magnifying lenses in them. should be
        under $20 in the stores.

        Dave
      • Harvey White
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
          On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 04:23:19 -0000, you wrote:

          >Actually the same vendor has LED ring-lights starting at about $70. I
          >was just being cheap.

          I was thinking making them.

          Harvey

          >Mike
          >

          >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:29:37 -0500, you wrote:
          >>
          >> >But isn't a fluorescent tube by its nature cool to the touch?
          >>
          >> Hotter than you think. You want zero problems? Get LEDs...
          >>
          >> They can be sealed without any real difficulty at the power levels
          >> you're likely to use.
          >>
          >> Harvey

        • Randy Smith
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
            To join the thread; I have an LED battery powered light made for BBQ
            grill use.
            It casts a good bit of light at a point. Just right to light up the
            spot where the action is. Has a magnetic base so sticks to the column
            or head.

            The LEDs last for quite awhile and of course it can be moved to lathe or
            other machinery. I use rechargeable batteries so can recharge the light,
            and could be powered with a blister too.

            Merry Christmas!
            In all of history only two have volunteered to die for you....
            Jesus Died to save your soul,
            The American serviceman died to save your freedom.
            Remember both at this time of year......

          • moparado
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
              Mike,
              good idea! There's never enough light or its not in the right place or
              if there is enough light it comes with shadows. This idea looks like
              it'll take care of all those problems all at once.

              I wouldn't worry so much about the a flourescent bulb bursting from
              cold coolant. I'd be more concerned about coolants dirtying up the
              bulb, accidently breaking the bulb or even a chip getting inside
              somewhere and tripping a circuit breaker.
              As already suggested, fix a piece of thin plexiglass over the bulb and
              call it a day.
              The LED version might be a little better for this application.
              Again great idea!
              -Ken
            • Mike West
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
                Credit for the idea must go to Chris Woods, I saw it on the LMS website
                a while ago, and when I found the cheaper light on ebay I went ahead
                with it.
                I dont currently have coolant set up on my mill, but I can see that the
                thing could get a bit nasty with cutting oil and chips bouncing
                around. All the electrical contacts seem to be pretty well covered up
                as is.
                I agree that LED's may be better, but you still have the keep them
                clean problem (and they would be harder to wipe of than a flourescent)
                and are currently a lot more expensive. I dont have the brains to make
                them myself. I think I'd rather have the extra $45 to spend on cutters
                or chunks of steel!
                Anyway it seems people see the potential in this. Glad I could put
                some ideas back into the forum.
                Mike

                - In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "moparado" <kenwm2@...> wrote:

                > Mike,
                > good idea! There's never enough light or its not in the right place
                or
                > if there is enough light it comes with shadows. This idea looks like
                > it'll take care of all those problems all at once.
                >
                > I wouldn't worry so much about the a flourescent bulb bursting from
                > cold coolant. I'd be more concerned about coolants dirtying up the
                > bulb, accidently breaking the bulb or even a chip getting inside
                > somewhere and tripping a circuit breaker.
                > As already suggested, fix a piece of thin plexiglass over the bulb
                and
                > call it a day.
                > The LED version might be a little better for this application.
                > Again great idea!
                > -Ken

              • moparado
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Mike,
                  OH, OH, if thats true, i'll bet 'ol Chris has a run on these things if
                  they still have em which i don't recall seeing anything resembling your
                  spindle light on the LMS website.

                  Irregardless where the idea 'seed' came from, you went ahead and
                  fabricated the light assembly out vision, necessity, ambition,
                  craftsmanship and made it work! And just as important, you brought the
                  idea to this forum's attention.
                  -Ken

                  -------------------------
                  "Mike West" <sorekiwi@...> wrote:
                  ....Credit for the idea must go to Chris Woods, I saw it on the LMS
                  website a while ago, and when I found the cheaper light on ebay I went
                  ahead with it....
                  > > Mike,
                • Mike West
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Here it is:
                    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?
                    ProductID=3015&category=

                    Mike

                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "moparado" <kenwm2@...> wrote:

                    > Mike,
                    > OH, OH, if thats true, i'll bet 'ol Chris has a run on these things
                    if
                    > they still have em which i don't recall seeing anything resembling
                    your
                    > spindle light on the LMS website.
                    >
                    > Irregardless where the idea 'seed' came from, you went ahead and
                    > fabricated the light assembly out vision, necessity, ambition,
                    > craftsmanship and made it work! And just as important, you brought
                    the
                    > idea to this forum's attention.
                    > -Ken
                    >
                    > -------------------------
                    > "Mike West" <sorekiwi@> wrote:
                    > ....Credit for the idea must go to Chris Woods, I saw it on the LMS
                    > website a while ago, and when I found the cheaper light on ebay I
                    went
                    > ahead with it....
                    > > > Mike,

                  • tcyclist
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Adding a spindle light to a mill looks like a great idea. The
                      fluorescent light would be a good way to go without much "re-inventing
                      the wheel". I like projects where someone else has already done the
                      groundwork.
                      LEDs would also be a good way to go. A Google search turned up this
                      company:
                      http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
                      Under 'Component LEDs' they list 18,000 mcd LEDs they sell for .89 ea
                      for 10, and under 'Hobby - DIY' they list PCBs for $2.95 ea that take 5
                      LEDs plus resistors. I was thinking that a bank of five LEDs on each
                      side would make a fairly good spindle lighting setup. Add some
                      resistors, wire, and a wall transformer and the whole setup wouldn't
                      cost much - probably less than $25. Low voltage for safety.
                      Does anyone know if there is a source for suitable voltage already on
                      the mill? Is there room for a transformer and switch in the control box?
                      I'm not ready to start just yet. Anyone else want to try?
                      Oh, yes. They list two styles of LEDs - 30 degree and 15 degree viewing
                      angle. My thought would be the 30 degree. If I understood the specs
                      correctly, the viewing angle is where the light is at least half the
                      full brightness.

                      Tom C.
                    • pkgloger
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 2, 2007
                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dinan <jdinan@...> wrote:

                        > Mike: I say it's time to write up the abstract and send it off to a
                        journal.
                        > jhd

                        See http://improbable.com/ web site of "The Annals of Improbable Research"
                        Good Luck!

                        Paul in Pittsfield
                      • Rexarino
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                          I seem to remember an article about making/installing an LED ring light on a mill quill in one of the Village Press magazines within the last year.  Anybody have a reference for which issue and magazine it was?

                          On Dec 1, 2007 2:08 PM, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
                          On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 04:23:19 -0000, you wrote:

                          >Actually the same vendor has LED ring-lights starting at about $70.  I
                          >was just being cheap.

                          I was thinking making them.

                          Harvey

                          >Mike
                          >

                          >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:29:37 -0500, you wrote:
                          >>
                          >> >But isn't a fluorescent tube by its nature cool to the touch?
                          >>
                          >> Hotter than you think.  You want zero problems?  Get LEDs...
                          >>
                          >> They can be sealed without any real difficulty at the power levels
                          >> you're likely to use.
                          >>
                          >> Harvey

                        • Dave Mucha
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                            I think a wall wart would be the best place to get power and we all
                            have them laying around.

                            if you take a look at the angles, it seems that 15 degrees works best.
                            at 12 inches high, it spreads about 12 inches wide. I think all you
                            really want to light up is the work ?

                            But, are LED's bright ? I think the fluorescent would be much
                            brighter, no ?

                            Dave

                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "tcyclist" <tcyclist@...> wrote:

                            > Adding a spindle light to a mill looks like a great idea. The
                            > fluorescent light would be a good way to go without much "re-inventing
                            > the wheel". I like projects where someone else has already done the
                            > groundwork.
                            > LEDs would also be a good way to go. A Google search turned up this
                            > company:
                            > http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
                            > Under 'Component LEDs' they list 18,000 mcd LEDs they sell for .89 ea
                            > for 10, and under 'Hobby - DIY' they list PCBs for $2.95 ea that take 5
                            > LEDs plus resistors. I was thinking that a bank of five LEDs on each
                            > side would make a fairly good spindle lighting setup. Add some
                            > resistors, wire, and a wall transformer and the whole setup wouldn't
                            > cost much - probably less than $25. Low voltage for safety.
                            > Does anyone know if there is a source for suitable voltage already on
                            > the mill? Is there room for a transformer and switch in the control box?
                            > I'm not ready to start just yet. Anyone else want to try?
                            > Oh, yes. They list two styles of LEDs - 30 degree and 15 degree viewing
                            > angle. My thought would be the 30 degree. If I understood the specs
                            > correctly, the viewing angle is where the light is at least half the
                            > full brightness.
                            >
                            > Tom C.

                          • Harvey White
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                              On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:25:37 -0000, you wrote:

                              >I think a wall wart would be the best place to get power and we all
                              >have them laying around.

                              Cheapie super bright white LEDs are surprisingly bright. Other than
                              that, a 1 or 3 watt white LED will really be bright. Check out an HF
                              store or the like for samples, then take the head and power it from a
                              power supply the same voltage as the batteries.

                              Harvey