Re: Ringlight added to Mini-mill

  • Mike West
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 30 8:23 PM
      Actually the same vendor has LED ring-lights starting at about $70. I
      was just being cheap.

      Mike

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:29:37 -0500, you wrote:
      >
      > >But isn't a fluorescent tube by its nature cool to the touch?
      >
      > Hotter than you think. You want zero problems? Get LEDs...
      >
      > They can be sealed without any real difficulty at the power levels
      > you're likely to use.
      >
      > Harvey

    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hi Mike,

        It's a good idea and application - thanks for sharing.

        The point of adding a shield is a good one, more for keeping the lamp and the contacts clean - the spray and swarf does get everywhere.

        Probably best to make up several out of very thin material and after it gets a bit messed up and scratched, just replace it.

        I would be happy to review your article for journal submission <smile>.

        Again - GOOD JOB!

        Take care,
        DBN

        Mike West <sorekiwi@...> wrote:
        Actually the same vendor has LED ring-lights starting at about $70. I
        was just being cheap.

        Mike

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:29:37 -0500, you wrote:
        >
        > >But isn't a fluorescent tube by its nature cool to the touch?
        >
        > Hotter than you think. You want zero problems? Get LEDs...
        >
        > They can be sealed without any real difficulty at the power levels
        > you're likely to use.
        >
        > Harvey

      • Dave Mucha
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston"
          <jagboy1964@...> wrote:

          > Jack,
          >
          > Cooler than INcandescent, but not cool. They still get warm,
          > and don't take kindly to thermal shock.

          I have never seen a floursent bulb go bad because it got splashed. I
          am not fond of the idea of the contacts being exposed. an acrylic
          shield would be super simple to make and does not need to do more than
          keep the splashes off.

          You can find these locally with magnifying lenses in them. should be
          under $20 in the stores.

          Dave
        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
            On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 04:23:19 -0000, you wrote:

            >Actually the same vendor has LED ring-lights starting at about $70. I
            >was just being cheap.

            I was thinking making them.

            Harvey

            >Mike
            >

            >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:29:37 -0500, you wrote:
            >>
            >> >But isn't a fluorescent tube by its nature cool to the touch?
            >>
            >> Hotter than you think. You want zero problems? Get LEDs...
            >>
            >> They can be sealed without any real difficulty at the power levels
            >> you're likely to use.
            >>
            >> Harvey

          • Randy Smith
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
              To join the thread; I have an LED battery powered light made for BBQ
              grill use.
              It casts a good bit of light at a point. Just right to light up the
              spot where the action is. Has a magnetic base so sticks to the column
              or head.

              The LEDs last for quite awhile and of course it can be moved to lathe or
              other machinery. I use rechargeable batteries so can recharge the light,
              and could be powered with a blister too.

              Merry Christmas!
              In all of history only two have volunteered to die for you....
              Jesus Died to save your soul,
              The American serviceman died to save your freedom.
              Remember both at this time of year......

            • moparado
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
                Mike,
                good idea! There's never enough light or its not in the right place or
                if there is enough light it comes with shadows. This idea looks like
                it'll take care of all those problems all at once.

                I wouldn't worry so much about the a flourescent bulb bursting from
                cold coolant. I'd be more concerned about coolants dirtying up the
                bulb, accidently breaking the bulb or even a chip getting inside
                somewhere and tripping a circuit breaker.
                As already suggested, fix a piece of thin plexiglass over the bulb and
                call it a day.
                The LED version might be a little better for this application.
                Again great idea!
                -Ken
              • Mike West
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Credit for the idea must go to Chris Woods, I saw it on the LMS website
                  a while ago, and when I found the cheaper light on ebay I went ahead
                  with it.
                  I dont currently have coolant set up on my mill, but I can see that the
                  thing could get a bit nasty with cutting oil and chips bouncing
                  around. All the electrical contacts seem to be pretty well covered up
                  as is.
                  I agree that LED's may be better, but you still have the keep them
                  clean problem (and they would be harder to wipe of than a flourescent)
                  and are currently a lot more expensive. I dont have the brains to make
                  them myself. I think I'd rather have the extra $45 to spend on cutters
                  or chunks of steel!
                  Anyway it seems people see the potential in this. Glad I could put
                  some ideas back into the forum.
                  Mike

                  - In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "moparado" <kenwm2@...> wrote:

                  > Mike,
                  > good idea! There's never enough light or its not in the right place
                  or
                  > if there is enough light it comes with shadows. This idea looks like
                  > it'll take care of all those problems all at once.
                  >
                  > I wouldn't worry so much about the a flourescent bulb bursting from
                  > cold coolant. I'd be more concerned about coolants dirtying up the
                  > bulb, accidently breaking the bulb or even a chip getting inside
                  > somewhere and tripping a circuit breaker.
                  > As already suggested, fix a piece of thin plexiglass over the bulb
                  and
                  > call it a day.
                  > The LED version might be a little better for this application.
                  > Again great idea!
                  > -Ken

                • moparado
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Mike,
                    OH, OH, if thats true, i'll bet 'ol Chris has a run on these things if
                    they still have em which i don't recall seeing anything resembling your
                    spindle light on the LMS website.

                    Irregardless where the idea 'seed' came from, you went ahead and
                    fabricated the light assembly out vision, necessity, ambition,
                    craftsmanship and made it work! And just as important, you brought the
                    idea to this forum's attention.
                    -Ken

                    -------------------------
                    "Mike West" <sorekiwi@...> wrote:
                    ....Credit for the idea must go to Chris Woods, I saw it on the LMS
                    website a while ago, and when I found the cheaper light on ebay I went
                    ahead with it....
                    > > Mike,
                  • Mike West
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
                      Here it is:
                      http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?
                      ProductID=3015&category=

                      Mike

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "moparado" <kenwm2@...> wrote:

                      > Mike,
                      > OH, OH, if thats true, i'll bet 'ol Chris has a run on these things
                      if
                      > they still have em which i don't recall seeing anything resembling
                      your
                      > spindle light on the LMS website.
                      >
                      > Irregardless where the idea 'seed' came from, you went ahead and
                      > fabricated the light assembly out vision, necessity, ambition,
                      > craftsmanship and made it work! And just as important, you brought
                      the
                      > idea to this forum's attention.
                      > -Ken
                      >
                      > -------------------------
                      > "Mike West" <sorekiwi@> wrote:
                      > ....Credit for the idea must go to Chris Woods, I saw it on the LMS
                      > website a while ago, and when I found the cheaper light on ebay I
                      went
                      > ahead with it....
                      > > > Mike,

                    • tcyclist
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 2, 2007
                        Adding a spindle light to a mill looks like a great idea. The
                        fluorescent light would be a good way to go without much "re-inventing
                        the wheel". I like projects where someone else has already done the
                        groundwork.
                        LEDs would also be a good way to go. A Google search turned up this
                        company:
                        http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
                        Under 'Component LEDs' they list 18,000 mcd LEDs they sell for .89 ea
                        for 10, and under 'Hobby - DIY' they list PCBs for $2.95 ea that take 5
                        LEDs plus resistors. I was thinking that a bank of five LEDs on each
                        side would make a fairly good spindle lighting setup. Add some
                        resistors, wire, and a wall transformer and the whole setup wouldn't
                        cost much - probably less than $25. Low voltage for safety.
                        Does anyone know if there is a source for suitable voltage already on
                        the mill? Is there room for a transformer and switch in the control box?
                        I'm not ready to start just yet. Anyone else want to try?
                        Oh, yes. They list two styles of LEDs - 30 degree and 15 degree viewing
                        angle. My thought would be the 30 degree. If I understood the specs
                        correctly, the viewing angle is where the light is at least half the
                        full brightness.

                        Tom C.
                      • pkgloger
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 2, 2007
                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dinan <jdinan@...> wrote:

                          > Mike: I say it's time to write up the abstract and send it off to a
                          journal.
                          > jhd

                          See http://improbable.com/ web site of "The Annals of Improbable Research"
                          Good Luck!

                          Paul in Pittsfield
                        • Rexarino
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                            I seem to remember an article about making/installing an LED ring light on a mill quill in one of the Village Press magazines within the last year.  Anybody have a reference for which issue and magazine it was?

                            On Dec 1, 2007 2:08 PM, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
                            On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 04:23:19 -0000, you wrote:

                            >Actually the same vendor has LED ring-lights starting at about $70.  I
                            >was just being cheap.

                            I was thinking making them.

                            Harvey

                            >Mike
                            >

                            >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:29:37 -0500, you wrote:
                            >>
                            >> >But isn't a fluorescent tube by its nature cool to the touch?
                            >>
                            >> Hotter than you think.  You want zero problems?  Get LEDs...
                            >>
                            >> They can be sealed without any real difficulty at the power levels
                            >> you're likely to use.
                            >>
                            >> Harvey

                          • Dave Mucha
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                              I think a wall wart would be the best place to get power and we all
                              have them laying around.

                              if you take a look at the angles, it seems that 15 degrees works best.
                              at 12 inches high, it spreads about 12 inches wide. I think all you
                              really want to light up is the work ?

                              But, are LED's bright ? I think the fluorescent would be much
                              brighter, no ?

                              Dave

                              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "tcyclist" <tcyclist@...> wrote:

                              > Adding a spindle light to a mill looks like a great idea. The
                              > fluorescent light would be a good way to go without much "re-inventing
                              > the wheel". I like projects where someone else has already done the
                              > groundwork.
                              > LEDs would also be a good way to go. A Google search turned up this
                              > company:
                              > http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
                              > Under 'Component LEDs' they list 18,000 mcd LEDs they sell for .89 ea
                              > for 10, and under 'Hobby - DIY' they list PCBs for $2.95 ea that take 5
                              > LEDs plus resistors. I was thinking that a bank of five LEDs on each
                              > side would make a fairly good spindle lighting setup. Add some
                              > resistors, wire, and a wall transformer and the whole setup wouldn't
                              > cost much - probably less than $25. Low voltage for safety.
                              > Does anyone know if there is a source for suitable voltage already on
                              > the mill? Is there room for a transformer and switch in the control box?
                              > I'm not ready to start just yet. Anyone else want to try?
                              > Oh, yes. They list two styles of LEDs - 30 degree and 15 degree viewing
                              > angle. My thought would be the 30 degree. If I understood the specs
                              > correctly, the viewing angle is where the light is at least half the
                              > full brightness.
                              >
                              > Tom C.

                            • Harvey White
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                                On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:25:37 -0000, you wrote:

                                >I think a wall wart would be the best place to get power and we all
                                >have them laying around.

                                Cheapie super bright white LEDs are surprisingly bright. Other than
                                that, a 1 or 3 watt white LED will really be bright. Check out an HF
                                store or the like for samples, then take the head and power it from a
                                power supply the same voltage as the batteries.

                                Harvey