g code spindle

  • casperthegrand
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2007
      Has anyone successfully converted the x2 minimill over to a g code
      controled spindle for a reasonable cost? I would like to have the
      spindle on, off, direction, and speed controlled by mach3. Any help
      files or links to people who have done it would be appreciated. I
      have a cnc built from plans i got from ron steele. Now i am working
      on extending the travels in accordance with the hossmachine.com site.
    • Brian Pitt
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 12, 2007
        On Friday 12 October 2007 09:57, casperthegrand wrote:
        > Has anyone successfully converted the x2 minimill over to a g code
        > controled spindle for a reasonable cost? I would like to have the
        > spindle on, off, direction, and speed controlled by mach3. Any help
        > files or links to people who have done it would be appreciated. I
        > have a cnc built from plans i got from ron steele. Now i am working
        > on extending the travels in accordance with the hossmachine.com site.

        you might check these out
        http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-17734.html
        http://homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2
        http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=58

        Brian
        --
        "Nemo me impune lacesset"
      • Dave Mucha
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 13, 2007
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "casperthegrand"
          <c_l_croft@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone successfully converted the x2 minimill over to a g code
          > controled spindle for a reasonable cost? I would like to have the
          > spindle on, off, direction, and speed controlled by mach3. Any help
          > files or links to people who have done it would be appreciated. I
          > have a cnc built from plans i got from ron steele. Now i am working
          > on extending the travels in accordance with the hossmachine.com site.

          The cheap way is to use a small stepper to turn the pot of the speed
          control and use relays to turn it on and off and fwd/rev.

          The pot can be from an old printer and the driver could be a full step
          homme-brew job with transistors as the final stage.

          The Digi-speed is the unit that you buy and it does everything.

          Dave
        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 13, 2007
            On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:38:30 -0000, you wrote:

            >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "casperthegrand"
            ><c_l_croft@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Has anyone successfully converted the x2 minimill over to a g code
            >> controled spindle for a reasonable cost? I would like to have the
            >> spindle on, off, direction, and speed controlled by mach3. Any help
            >> files or links to people who have done it would be appreciated. I
            >> have a cnc built from plans i got from ron steele. Now i am working
            >> on extending the travels in accordance with the hossmachine.com site.
            >>

            >The cheap way is to use a small stepper to turn the pot of the speed
            >control and use relays to turn it on and off and fwd/rev.
            >
            >The pot can be from an old printer and the driver could be a full step
            >homme-brew job with transistors as the final stage.

            Steal the board off an old 5 1/4 inch drive and use it to drive the
            stepper. Use the track zero sensor to find the "off" position. All
            you need to do is interface. Might work on a defunct 3 1/2 inch
            drive, but it might be too weak for a stepper and too integrated to
            make life easy.

            Harvey

            >The Digi-speed is the unit that you buy and it does everything.
            >
            >Dave
          • Ray Livingston
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 13, 2007
              Casper,

              cnc4pc.com sells a small, inexpensive board for exactly that
              purpose. It replaces the speed control pot in the controller, and
              provides a step/direction interface to Mach 3. They all have
              parallel breakout boards with this funciton integrated into them for
              a little over $100. Very nicely made. I haven't had time to hook
              mine up yet, but will one of these days.

              Regards,
              Ray L.

              <c_l_croft@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone successfully converted the x2 minimill over to a g code
              > controled spindle for a reasonable cost? I would like to have the
              > spindle on, off, direction, and speed controlled by mach3. Any
              help
              > files or links to people who have done it would be appreciated. I
              > have a cnc built from plans i got from ron steele. Now i am
              working
              > on extending the travels in accordance with the hossmachine.com
              site.

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 14, 2007
                I used the Cnc4pc C6 Board.
                http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=58
                I had it working last week during tests for my ATC project.
                http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43651
                When I tried using the mills newer PC, it quit. I have the Cnc4pc C10
                breakout board
                http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=45
                on the way that should fix the problem (not enough juice at the
                parallel port)
                It did work on the old backup PC, M3/M5 turned the spindle on/off and
                changing S4200 to S3000 for example changed the RPM.
                Plus I'll use the C10 on a second parallel port to give plenty of pin
                outs for limit switches, power drawbar control and coolant pump.
                Hoss

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 14, 2007
                  Dan,

                  I have C11, which incorporates the spindle speed control. I'm
                  very happy with it. The documentation leaves a lot to be desired,
                  but you can always e-mail the owner with questions, and he's very
                  helpful. He was also nice enough to exchange my early C11 board,
                  which didn't include the speed control, for a later one which did, at
                  no charge.

                  Regards,
                  Ray L.

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <koocha2011@...> wrote:

                  > I used the Cnc4pc C6 Board.
                  > http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?
                  cPath=25&products_id=58
                  > I had it working last week during tests for my ATC project.
                  > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43651
                  > When I tried using the mills newer PC, it quit. I have the Cnc4pc
                  C10
                  > breakout board
                  > http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?
                  cPath=33&products_id=45
                  > on the way that should fix the problem (not enough juice at the
                  > parallel port)
                  > It did work on the old backup PC, M3/M5 turned the spindle on/off
                  and
                  > changing S4200 to S3000 for example changed the RPM.
                  > Plus I'll use the C10 on a second parallel port to give plenty of
                  pin
                  > outs for limit switches, power drawbar control and coolant pump.
                  > Hoss
                  >

                  > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "casperthegrand"
                  > <c_l_croft@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone successfully converted the x2 minimill over to a g
                  code
                  > > controled spindle for a reasonable cost? I would like to have
                  the
                  > > spindle on, off, direction, and speed controlled by mach3. Any
                  help
                  > > files or links to people who have done it would be appreciated.
                  > > have a cnc built from plans i got from ron steele. Now i am
                  working
                  > > on extending the travels in accordance with the hossmachine.com
                  site.

                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
                    I have the Cnc4pc C6 and C10 boards working now for my ATC project.
                    have a video preview of the setup here.
                    http://www.hossmachine.com/Videos6.html#videos35&36
                    Hoss

                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston"