Re: Gotta Love Them Geckos....

  • Ray Livingston
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      Here's a picture of the new electronics:

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston"

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
        Ray:

        You keep finiding new incredible things and I am going
        to go broke.

        I did get 429 oz/in motors to replace the 269's.

        Barry Young

        http://tv.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
          Nice wiring job Ray:

          What is the bi cap for and what it that big toroid
          thing in the upper right corner? Is that a choke or a
          rheostat?

          Barry Young

          --- Ray Livingston <jagboy1964@...> wrote:

          > Here's a picture of the new electronics:

          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
          > Livingston"
          > <jagboy1964@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > For any CNC-types out there, I just (finally)
          > finished replacing the
          > > A3977-based stepper controllers on my CNC'd X2
          > with Gecko G201s
          > running
          > > on a 72V/10A supply. Wow! What a difference! I
          > can not only
          > > accelerate twice as fast, but also run higher peak
          > speeds, and all
          > > three axes are virtually unstoppable! A very,
          > very worthwhile
          > change,
          > > IMHO.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Ray L.
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > mailto:GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Dave Mucha
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young <barryjyoung@...>
            wrote:

            > Nice wiring job Ray:
            >
            > What is the bi cap for and what it that big toroid
            > thing in the upper right corner? Is that a choke or a
            > rheostat?
            >
            > Barry Young

            That large donunt is the transformer. A Torid style. more efficent
            than the boxy style we all know and love.

            The bi cap ? Big cap ?

            Gecko's have a formula (80,00*current) / volts (for 60 hz ac power,
            100,000 for 50hz) to size the cap. add at least 20% extra on the
            voltage side to allow for back EMF.

            Since the Gecko's are rated for 7 amps, one could size the cap for 21
            amps.

            since they are limited to 80volts max, one should size the cap for 20%
            more than you are using, so maybe 100 volts ?

            of course, if you are only using 4 amps per motor and have a 48V
            suppply, it would be a smaller cap.

            But the project looked nice and clean.

            Dave
          • Ray Livingston
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
              Barry,

              The big toroid is the power supply transformer, the big cap is
              the filter cap. The high-voltage power supply is responsible for a
              big part of the improvement in high-speed torque. The higher voltage
              allows current to build faster in the motor coils, so the RMS current
              at high speed is greatly improved. The 35V limitation on the A3977
              is it's biggest weakness for a high-power application like a CNC
              machine. Geckos allow up to 70V, 7A.

              Regards,
              Ray L.

              wrote:

              > Nice wiring job Ray:
              >
              > What is the bi cap for and what it that big toroid
              > thing in the upper right corner? Is that a choke or a
              > rheostat?
              >
              > Barry Young
              >

              > --- Ray Livingston <jagboy1964@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Here's a picture of the new electronics:

              b=13

              > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
              > > Livingston"
              > > <jagboy1964@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > For any CNC-types out there, I just (finally)
              > > finished replacing the
              > > > A3977-based stepper controllers on my CNC'd X2
              > > with Gecko G201s
              > > running
              > > > on a 72V/10A supply. Wow! What a difference! I
              > > can not only
              > > > accelerate twice as fast, but also run higher peak
              > > speeds, and all
              > > > three axes are virtually unstoppable! A very,
              > > very worthwhile
              > > change,
              > > > IMHO.
              > > >
              > > > Regards,
              > > > Ray L.
              > > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >
              > > (Yahoo! ID required)
              > >
              > > mailto:GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              ______________
              today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

            • Ray Livingston
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                Barry,

                Gee, from what I've seen, you're pretty good at finding your own
                ways to spend money. You don't need my help! :-)

                Regards,
                Ray L.

                ______________Ready for the edge of your seat?
                > http://tv.yahoo.com/

              • Ray Livingston
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                  Dave,

                  "of course, if you are only using 4 amps per motor and have a 48V
                  suppply, it would be a smaller cap." - And sometimes, you just throw
                  science out the window, and use what you've got laying around, or can
                  get your hands on in a hurry. This one is certainly over-kill for
                  this application (10,000uF), but it was readily avilable, cheap, and
                  too big doesn't hurt anything. Just need to use a slow-blow line
                  fuse!

                  Regards,
                  Ray L.

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@...>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                    Hi Dave:

                    Yes, big Cap not bi cap. It was late and I didn't read
                    it after typing it.

                    Thanks for the good explanation.

                    Barry Young

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                      Thank you Ray:

                      Barry Young

                      --- Ray Livingston <jagboy1964@...> wrote:

                      > Barry,
                      >
                      > The big toroid is the power supply transformer,
                      > the big cap is
                      > the filter cap. The high-voltage power supply is
                      > responsible for a
                      > big part of the improvement in high-speed torque.
                      > The higher voltage
                      > allows current to build faster in the motor coils,
                      > so the RMS current
                      > at high speed is greatly improved. The 35V
                      > limitation on the A3977
                      > is it's biggest weakness for a high-power
                      > application like a CNC
                      > machine. Geckos allow up to 70V, 7A.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Ray L.
                      >

                      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young
                      > <barryjyoung@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Nice wiring job Ray:
                      > >
                      > > What is the bi cap for and what it that big toroid
                      > > thing in the upper right corner? Is that a choke
                      > or a
                      > > rheostat?
                      > >
                      > > Barry Young
                      > >

                      > > --- Ray Livingston <jagboy1964@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Here's a picture of the new electronics:

                      > b=13
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
                      > > > Livingston"

                      > > > finished replacing the
                      > > > with Gecko G201s
                      > > > running
                      > > > can not only
                      > peak
                      > > > speeds, and all
                      > > > very worthwhile
                      > > > change,

                      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > > >
                      > > > (Yahoo! ID required)
                      > > >

                      > mailto:GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      > ______________
                      > > Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network
                      > Research Panel
                      > today!

                      > (Yahoo! ID required)
                      >
                      > mailto:GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                        Ray:

                        hmmmm, you might be right. Perhaps my spending isn't
                        your fault at all. In some very real and meaningful
                        way you may even be completely innocent (glances to
                        the side of the desk where the latest camera from ebay
                        is gleaming under the lamp in its nearly perfect 1952
                        vintage satin chromium plating and shark skin
                        covering), in fact I think you almost certainly are.

                        Barry Young

                        --- Ray Livingston <jagboy1964@...> wrote:

                        > Barry,
                        >
                        > Gee, from what I've seen, you're pretty good at
                        > finding your own
                        > ways to spend money. You don't need my help! :-)
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Ray L.

                      • Ray Livingston
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                          Barry,

                          That's OK, you can blame me if it makes you feel better. :-)
                          I'm used to being blamed for things. At my job, I have a very
                          responsible position - Whenever anything goes wrong, I'm
                          responsible! :-0

                          Regards,
                          Ray L.

                          today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7