Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Vacuum ideas

  • Mike Payson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      At it's most basic, all a vacuum really is is a fan in reverse. It
      sounds like you don't need much suction, so you might try computer fan
      hooked up to a tube with a homemade cyclone like PacNWFoto linked to
      (a better diagram of how they work is available at
      <http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=1515&TabSelect=Details>).

      You can get an idea of how well a system like this works by watching
      the SRS Robotic Easter Egg Hunt
      (<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVedVzRBe_A>) where a robot used
      basically this same system. It's the robot that released its "magic
      blue smoke", though that was an electronic problem, not related to the
      basic design. It wasn't using a computer fan, but it needed more
      suction. For your needs, a computer fan would probably work just fine.

      On 7/31/07, Dan Furlano <dan@...> wrote:
      > I have been looking around for a small vacuum to use on my mini mill
      > to collet very small wood and wax chips and dust. I have looked
      > around and found computer vacuums and small office vacuums but they
      > tend to be very noisy and over powered.
      >
      > I looked into small venturi generators but again nothing looked like
      > it would work. So I am soliciting ideas for a SMALL QUITE vacuum
      > that has a decent waste capacity and can run continuously for several
      > hours.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Dan
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Dan Furlano
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 19, 2007
        Well Mike,

        You made it sound so simple... and actually it was. Te only thing was
        I needed to use a processor fan which is more powerful. Works great!

        http://www.dfurlano.com/recovery.jpg

        Thanks!

        Dan

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Payson" <mike@...> wrote:

        > At it's most basic, all a vacuum really is is a fan in reverse. It
        > sounds like you don't need much suction, so you might try computer fan
        > hooked up to a tube with a homemade cyclone like PacNWFoto linked to
        > (a better diagram of how they work is available at

        <http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=1515&TabSelect=Details>).

        > You can get an idea of how well a system like this works by watching
        > the SRS Robotic Easter Egg Hunt
        > (<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVedVzRBe_A>) where a robot used
        > basically this same system. It's the robot that released its "magic
        > blue smoke", though that was an electronic problem, not related to the
        > basic design. It wasn't using a computer fan, but it needed more
        > suction. For your needs, a computer fan would probably work just fine.
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVedVzRBe_A
        >
        > On 7/31/07, Dan Furlano <dan@...> wrote:
        > > I have been looking around for a small vacuum to use on my mini mill
        > > to collet very small wood and wax chips and dust. I have looked
        > > around and found computer vacuums and small office vacuums but they
        > > tend to be very noisy and over powered.
        > >
        > > I looked into small venturi generators but again nothing looked like
        > > it would work. So I am soliciting ideas for a SMALL QUITE vacuum
        > > that has a decent waste capacity and can run continuously for several
        > > hours.
        > >
        > > Any ideas?
        > >
        > > Dan
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Payson
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 19, 2007
          Glad I could help, and glad it worked so well.