spindle seems to tight

  • edbash@worldnet.att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
      hi group
      just received my mill today from micro mark today .the spindle is
      very hard to turn by hand. i ran it for 10 minutes in low gear it
      seemed ok.then i ran it in high gear and the motor kept shutting
      off .well some more running in low gear did loosen in up enough to
      run to stop this.
      anyone else have this problem, is this normal????
      thanks:
      ed
    • Chris Wood
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
        Ed:

        Doesn't sound normal to me. Try a couple things:

        1. Make sure the High/Low shifter is not all the way one way or the other,
        but just back from the stop. You might feel a little detent where it
        belongs.

        2. Loosen slightly the 4 socket head cap screws that secure the motor base
        and move it around when the motor is running. It might help.

        If not, send it back. It's too tight somewhere.

        Chris Wood
        LittleMachineShop.com <http://www.littlemachineshop.com>
        The premier source of parts and accessories for mini lathes and mini mills.
        221 E. Walnut St. #110, Pasadena, CA 91101
        (800)981-9663 • Fax (626)584-5844

      • wmiller45@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
          I have not received my mill yet, but from lurking on the 7x10 list I
          can tell you that most over there recommend taking the thing apart
          and cleaning/oiling everything before startup. Don't take the spindle
          out of the head, but the gearbox and gears should be checked.

          Bill

        • nkefalas@alum.mit.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
            Easy fix for you Ed

            Its your preload. Remove the cap where your draw bar goes on the top
            of the headstock. You will notice a round black finish "nut" that
            bolts around the spindle. That is your spanner nut. What this nut does
            is it tightens your spindle through the headstock bearing so that
            there is no play in the spindle. It assures that the spindle axel has
            good contact with the bearings inside the headstock. This is the
            preload. Sometimes, as in your case, an eager Chinese tech
            overtightens them, and the symptom is what you see, a very hard to
            turn spindle, because the spanner nut is pulling too hard and is
            excerting a squeezing effect on the spindle/bearing assembly.

            If you keep operating your minimill like this, you will eventually
            burn up your bearings.

            What to do:

            Remove the drawbar.. Loosen the safety hex nut on the perimeter of the
            spanner nut. Your minimill came with a spanner wrench. Its the one
            with arc. Using the spanner wrench, loosen the nut. Don't worry the
            spindle will not fall through. Once loose, turn the spindle. It should
            turn without any drag. Re-tighten the spanner nut, until the spindle
            just begins to get some drag. It is kind of an art at this point. You
            may have to loosen and tighten several times. You will know when you
            get it right. Remember, less preload is best. Remember to check your
            spindle's play. You do not want any slack in the spindle.

            If the drag does not go away, when the spanner nut is loose, then the
            plot thickens. There may be several factors at play. I will not go
            into those now.

            Nick Kefalas
            Milford, CT