4644Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: 1-2-3 Blocks

  • Harvey White
    Nov 1, 2005
      On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:55:36 -0000, you wrote:

      >Yes, they are too hard to tap, as well. They are so hard that a
      >drill won't even mark them. The drill wore like a wooden dowel
      >trying to cut the block to enlarge the hole. The only hope I see is
      >to cut with carbide (probably too hard for that, too) or to use a
      >mounted stone to grind them larger.
      >
      >Which leads back to my original question. Should I expect the
      >unthreaded holes in 123 blocks to let the bolt that fits the threads
      >pass through? Are they supposed to be that big?

      I've seen ones that are big enough

      >If the unthreaded holes should be 3/8", then these blocks are
      >defective and I'll throw them away and buy better ones.

      Do that and you lose them for the applications where they can function
      as spacers.

      >If the
      >unthreaded holes are expected to be smaller than the bolts, then how
      >are 123 blocks expected to be used?

      As spacers, or perhaps bolted to something else.

      Agreed, it's not a good design, but it seems that a lot of the
      imported ones are made like this. Don't know why they copied that
      design unless they wanted to use metric, and then just tapped the
      holes for the export market.

      Harvey

      >Thanks,
      >Dean
      >

      >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave J" <galt_57@h...> wrote:
      >>
      >> If they are too hard to be drilled why would you think they
      >> could be tapped? My plan is to simply get more 5/16" bolts.
      >> The original pattern of only 4 threaded holes would not have
      >> afforded much flexibility anyway. The "good" 1-2-3 blocks cost
      >> quite a lot more.
      >>
      >> --- Al Patrick <arp@i...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Have you measured the holes. I'd almost bet they are the
      >> > size of the bit recommended to tap the 3/8" holes.
      >> >
      >> > It'll be a little extra work, but you can probably just tap
      >> > any hole you like and still secure them together.
      >> >
      >> > Let us know what you find out. ...And how it works out.
      >> >
      >> > Al

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic