4643Re: 1-2-3 Blocks

  • lecodtl
    Nov 1, 2005
      Yes, they are too hard to tap, as well. They are so hard that a
      drill won't even mark them. The drill wore like a wooden dowel
      trying to cut the block to enlarge the hole. The only hope I see is
      to cut with carbide (probably too hard for that, too) or to use a
      mounted stone to grind them larger.

      Which leads back to my original question. Should I expect the
      unthreaded holes in 123 blocks to let the bolt that fits the threads
      pass through? Are they supposed to be that big?

      If the unthreaded holes should be 3/8", then these blocks are
      defective and I'll throw them away and buy better ones. If the
      unthreaded holes are expected to be smaller than the bolts, then how
      are 123 blocks expected to be used?

      Thanks,
      Dean

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave J" <galt_57@h...> wrote:

      > If they are too hard to be drilled why would you think they
      > could be tapped? My plan is to simply get more 5/16" bolts.
      > The original pattern of only 4 threaded holes would not have
      > afforded much flexibility anyway. The "good" 1-2-3 blocks cost
      > quite a lot more.
      >
      > --- Al Patrick <arp@i...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Have you measured the holes. I'd almost bet they are the
      > > size of the bit recommended to tap the 3/8" holes.
      > >
      > > It'll be a little extra work, but you can probably just tap
      > > any hole you like and still secure them together.
      > >
      > > Let us know what you find out. ...And how it works out.
      > >
      > > Al
      > >
      > > --- lecodtl wrote:
      > > >I believe that my set of 123 blocks came from Lathemaster. I
      > > >bought them when I bought some other stuff to save shipping.
      > > >I was very frustrated to discover that the 3/8 bolts that fit
      > > >the threaded holes in the blocks won't pass through the
      > > >unthreaded holes in the same blocks. I expected I would be
      > > >able to bolt them together to create things similar to angle
      > > >plates or other shapes to create fixtures. But with smaller
      > > >holes, this can't be done.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic