4294Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Cheap solution for locking spindle pin

  • Jim E.
    Sep 1, 2005
      I can 'snug' it in tight holding the spindle with one hand and tightening the
      bolt by hand or with a wrench. Final tightening is wrench & pin.

      Do you have a R8 version mill? Mine is MT3 - nothing falls out just from
      loosening the nut - some inertial 'assistance' is always required to expel the
      cutting tool.

      Graciously,
      Jim
      Lakewood, CA
      All Hail Rube Goldberg!

      Dave J wrote:

      > Ok, I suppose you're saying that hand-tightening the drawbar
      > is enough to trust that the bit won't fall out, which then
      > frees up a hand to hold the locking pin, but I'd prefer to
      > keep my hand on the bit, and when loosening I never know for
      > certain when the bit might fall out. I suppose a wooden box
      > might be used to catch falling bits, but I'd hate to give
      > that much priority to holding the silly locking pin.
      >
      > --- "Jim E." <jim0000@a...> wrote:
      >
      >>Out of curiousity, what are you doing that requires a hand
      >>on the spindle while tightening the collet? I have one hand
      >>on the wrench, the other on the spindle lock pin I made per
      >>LMS design
      >>(http://littlemachineshop.com/Projects/SpindlePin.php), and
      >>that tends to do it.
      >>
      >>I have found, though, that with enough tension on the wrench
      >>I can hold the spindle pin in without holding it - pops out
      >>about a foot when released... @:-)
      >>
      >> Graciously,
      >> Jim
      >> Lakewood, CA
      >> All Hail Rube Goldberg!
      >>
      >>Dave J wrote:
      >>
      >>>I want one hand on the wrench and one hand on the spindle
      >>>and that does not leave me a spare hand to hold in a sping-
      >>>loaded pin.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic