4165Re: least expensive to get started?

  • bobjoshua
    Aug 1, 2005
      This can be a real problem if the budget is tight. I remember when I
      first got the bug,about sixty years ago I took a course at the local
      tech college and that cleared up a few of my misconceptions. you may
      have in your area a local model engineers club or something similar.
      Attend a few meetings to see if you can stand the people .you may
      well find some who are ahead of you and have made a few mistakes.
      Each one will save you heaps.
      I have a minimill and a minilathe. minilathe.com was just brilliant.
      Worth the $25 for the premium stuff.
      My first lathe was a 1879 job which I cleaned and repainted and sold
      for a small profit. It was treadle powered and would cut beautifully
      if the tool was very sharp. Then i went to soldiering and then I got
      a ML10 Myford. good little lathe and did the job.
      Trying to retire now and got the minigear. Its going well after
      cleanup and tune. Be sure you know what you want to do. These little
      machines work very well within their size. They spit the dummy if
      you try too big a stuff on them. not fair on them or your pocket.
      Best of luck.
      bob.

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave J" <galt_57@h...> wrote:
      > Nice little picture gallery. You might add;
      >
      > http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?dpt=1&cat=11&sku=03111
      > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?
      itemnumber=42976
      > http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0516
      >

      > --- "Phil Shevlin" <pshevlin@s...> wrote:
      > > oops -forgot the link: http://www.shevlin.org/shop
      > > >
      > > > Here's a site I made with links to some of the tools
      > > > you are interested in. As for the mill and lathe, they
      > > > all come from the same place - so price is the main
      > > > comparator. mini-lathe.com is a good source of info.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic