3141Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: minimill ?

    May 1, 2004
      Perhaps before you make such inflamatory statements
      you should see some of the things people have made
      with their minimills. While I agree that the machines
      largest drawback is not it's size but rather it's lack
      of rigidity, I do not agree that only big hogging cuts
      with huge endmills are "serious".

      If cubic feet per minute of metal removal were the
      measure of "serious" machining, we would all throw
      away our Bridgeports and use nothing but the old
      Kearney and Trecker's, Cincinatti's and all the
      horizontals from pre 1970. The reality is that what is
      "serious" to one guy is silly to another. I know some
      extremely "serious" machinists that take little tiny
      itty bitty cuts when a hole simply must be correct to
      within 50 millionths or so. I also know some extreme
      modellers who do very "serious" work on live steam
      model locomotives.

      My point is, anybody who needs to do big lot
      production, work on large stuff or just needs to
      remove a lot of material wouldn't be looking at these
      machines anyway.

      Oh, one more thing, I own a minimill and I am a
      "serious" toolmaker.

      Barry Young