27585Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: New to me HF 44991 mini mill.

  • Jwc C
    Aug 13, 2014
      Joe..
      The vertical feed of the mini mill shure has a lot of slack, and cannot be reduced easily. It is a common problem.

      Here's some options to minimize the problem.....

      !) Remove the universal joint and replace with a single piece coupling or with straight shaft (eliminate coupling)
      2) Replace the gear of the worm/gear pair with a split-gear adjust or spring loaded gear (PIC DESIGN)
      OR replace the gear and worm with a matched set.
      OR minimize slack by adjustment-tweaking of the worm to gear mesh.
      3) Fit the castellated coupling on the coarse feed shaft to reduce slop, by careful filing.
      4) Adjust rack and pinion mesh by shimming rack.
      5) adjust Z axis gibs

      OR On the Z axis......Modify and change to leadscrew such as done for CNC mods.

      Easy to see that it is a complex problem to fix, and could be costly,
      Most of the options and mods are well documented on the forum and other sites.

      regards

      jwcc8

      Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: New to me HF 44991 mini mill.
      To: "GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com" <GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 4:23 AM

      when I put a digital
      scale to use as a dro I was surprised at how much my slop
      was in the gear drive of the z axis. I have a grizzly g0463
      and really love it, but it is nice to really know how much
      it is moving. when drilling a hole for a scope mount it
      really is a good idea to know how far it moves. once the
      slack is taken up the scale on the machine is pretty
      accurate but it is hard to tell when the slack is all out of
      it for sure. joe
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic