27506Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: boring in steel

  • markkimball2000
    Jul 11, 2014
      Maybe I had some other setup issue, because I bored from the top down and most of the chips ended up at the bottom of the thru-hole.  I used one of the (cheap??) carbide-tipped boring bars that came with my cheap boring head.  Maybe the bit doesn't have much side relief, will check that.

      Could the variations in the smoothness of the cut be due to the swarf being caught by the bit as it descended?  I get some of that when conventional milling because swarf sticks to the bit, didn't think it could be an issue when boring.

      Mark
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic