27505Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: boring in steel

  • John Lindo
    Jul 11 8:08 AM
    Another tip,is to bore coming out of the hole,the chips will fall to the bottom,also on a lathe,especially a blind
    hole,the chips will migrate to the front and fall out.
    it's always the chips that cause you problems once the tool is ground and set correctly.
    I use an air line to clear the chips,but NOT when the spindle or boring bar is rotating.
    I just bored out a chimney for a model traction engine,had to come in from both ends,total length 175 MM about 4 1/2"
    the dia 19 mm approx 3/4",machined out of solid bar.

    John
    Spain

    On Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:24 PM, "sgtcude sgtcude@... [GrizHFMinimill]" <GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

    assuming your doing this on a mill. the longer your boring bar is the more its will flex away from the side of hole . also is how you sharpen the bit if not flat it will dig in causing to cut bigger or help it to flax away . One way to see if it flex away is as u move bit out see if it dig into the side. Also the boring bar needs to be slip fit into boring head this will help stop chatter and other problem

    On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Scott J Hicks scottjhicks@... [GrizHFMinimill] <GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

    What are spring passes?

    Scott

    Sent from my iPhone

    On Jul 5, 2014, at 4:41 AM, "joe gifford argie1891@... [GrizHFMinimill]" <GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

    don't forget to make spring passes before you get to final size. I once bored a hole in steel and to smooth out the hole I took several spring passes... wow now my hole was grossly over size. it is hard to believe there is that much spring in a 3/4 inch boring bar made from good quality steel. I have learned a lesson measure while taking spring passes to smooth out the bore. argie1891 aka joe

  • Show all 16 messages in this topic