27504Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: boring in steel

  • sgtcude
    Jul 10, 2014
      assuming your doing this on a mill. the longer your boring bar is the more its will flex away from the side of hole . also is how you sharpen the bit if not flat it will dig in causing to cut bigger or help it to flax away . One way to see if it flex away is as u move bit out see if it dig into the side. Also the boring bar needs to be slip fit into boring head this will help stop chatter and other problem

      On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Scott J Hicks scottjhicks@... [GrizHFMinimill] <GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      What are spring passes?

      Scott

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 5, 2014, at 4:41 AM, "joe gifford argie1891@... [GrizHFMinimill]" <GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      don't forget to make spring passes before you get to final size. I once bored a hole in steel and to smooth out the hole I took several spring passes... wow now my hole was grossly over size. it is hard to believe there is that much spring in a 3/4 inch boring bar made from good quality steel. I have learned a lesson measure while taking spring passes to smooth out the bore. argie1891 aka joe

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic