      Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 2:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: boring in steel

      Great question.

      It is a way to mitigate the natural bending or "springing" of the cutting tool and/or work piece.

      The idea is to make some final passes without moving the handwheel at all.  Due to the "springiness" that occurred during heavier cutting on the previous pass, another pass will likely cut some more with the same machine setting.

      If possible, it is best to avoid having to do this because it takes more time.  Ways to minimize springiness are to have a stout tool holder and tool, well supported work piece.  Avoid cutting any farther away from the headstock that possible, or put a center in the tailstock to help support the loose end if possible).  Finally, simply learn to plan for it so that you can make a final cut to measure even if some flex, or spring, is present.  And, oh yes, sharp cutting tools make a big difference in avoiding flex.

      Chuck K.