27295Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Remember to lock the gibs while tramming the head

  • Ian Newman
    Apr 8, 2014
      Hi Jeremy,

      This is probably an aspect you have already addressed, but when measuring the dovetail, I assume you measured over precision ground dowels rather than standard silver steel (drill rod) which is usually specified to have a defined diameter but is not necessarily to be cylindrical. It is usually a "shape of constant width" which makes it unsuitable for use as a gauge in situations where the surfaces being referenced are not parallel - see:

      All the best,
      Ian

      On 8 Apr 2014, at 01:14, Jeremy Winder <cptwinder@...> wrote:

      The G0704 is a clone of the BF-20L. Over the weekend I attempted to shim the gib so it would be tighter; but I could not resolve the problem with the tram. Grizzly asked that I remove the head and take measurements of the dovetails, which I did tonight. Here are the measurements I got:

      Distance from
      top of column    measurement
      1"               3.485
      4"               3.484
      7"               3.483
      10"             3.483
      13"             3.483 to 3.484
      15"             3.484 to 3.485

      So the column's dovetails are bowed. So I see I have two options, either replace the column or pay one of the local machine shops to regrind them. I'm not sure if any of the local shops can regrind dovetails. It is something I'll have to check into.

      Is there another option I'm missing?

      Thank you,

      Jeremy

      On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 12:00 PM, <superc_53@...> wrote:

      Hi Jeremy.
      There is of course one small problem with that approach.  Specifically Grizzly is just a vendor, not the actual manufacturer of a mill.  Complaining to Grizzly may not accomplish that much to fix the problem.  I would give consideration to finding a longer Z axis gib screw.  The non-parralell dovetail on the bottom of the column sounds like, if correct, a genuine manufacturing problem.  Is not the GO704 a variation of the Sieg SX3 product line?

      --
      Jeremy - Columbus, GA USA

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic