27292Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: anyone sells brass gibs or tapered gibs for X2?

  • John Lindo
    Apr 7, 2014
      Try this link,I think the other failed.
      photo should show scraped lathe x slide,oil grooves and reservoirs with felt absorbing pads.

      <  https://plus.google.com/photos/112848589944601328801/albums/5760796018680783985/5760796176683653554?pid=5760796176683653554&oid=112848589944601328801 >
      John
      On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:25 a.m., John Lindo <bechetboat@...> wrote:

      On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:57 a.m., John Lindo <bechetboat@...> wrote:
      Hello Dave.
      Agree That the gibs need to be flat, but not lapped Unless you Intend to finish the job
      Both surfaces and scrape Both gib and running edge of the machined vee.
      If They Will not outstretch to "RING" (stick) together as similar to a slip gauges, And Also you have no pockets or areas for the oil
      to be trapped Between the surfaces for lubrication.
      Ideal Material is brass but not phosphor bronze and cast iron or materials Because of the inherent lubricity
      content and durability.
      I worked for many years building thread grinders and jig borers, I this was how it was done as follows.
      The machine beds (cast iron) Were first milled outside weathering after 2 years, then all surfaces
      Were vees including the ground surface and finally scraped running to there mating parts.
      John
      Spain.
      On Monday, April 7, 2014 10:10 PM, "davegreenham@..." <davegreenham@...> wrote:

      If you want brass gibs instead of steel. Then Arceurotrade sell them. But you will still need to lap them in. Dave. UK

      .

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic