      Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Collets vs End mill holders
      To: "GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com" <GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, January 31, 2014, 2:03 PM

      So what I'm getting from this is, since I already
      have a full set of R8 collets, I have only ever used two,
      there is no reason to get end mill holders.
      I did come up with a case where end mill holders
      would be better. If you CNC your mill, you could set you end
      mills in holders and record the Z offset for each one. It
      would prevent you from having to collaborate Z for ever tool
      change.

      On Jan 31, 2014, at 6:30 AM, Rob Yates <geofairbanks@...>
      wrote:

      LittleMachineShop has a nice little
      article on the two:
      https://littlemachineshop.com/Info/getting_started.php?Chapter=GS_MiniMill_04.htm
      If you are just starting out and
      haven't been to their Learning Center tab yet, I highly
      recommend you try it out.

      -Rob
      On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:16 PM, <superc_53@...>
      wrote:

      Not all endmill shanks are the same.  Before
      collets were common there were other ways of holding
      endmills in place.  Some holders required woodruff keys
      (or the equivalent) other designs also exist.  Without
      looking at the ad in question I can only speculate as I do
      not know if you are looking at a holder for one of the
      alternative (vs plain round shank) end mills or something
      designed to work with any type of endmill.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic