27031Re: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Collets vs End mill holders

  • Jeremy Winder
    Jan 31, 2014
      So what I'm getting from this is, since I already have a full set of R8 collets, I have only ever used two, there is no reason to get end mill holders.

      I did come up with a case where end mill holders would be better. If you CNC your mill, you could set you end mills in holders and record the Z offset for each one. It would prevent you from having to collaborate Z for ever tool change.

      On Jan 31, 2014, at 6:30 AM, Rob Yates <geofairbanks@...> wrote:

      LittleMachineShop has a nice little article on the two:

      If you are just starting out and haven't been to their Learning Center tab yet, I highly recommend you try it out.

      -Rob

      On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:16 PM, <superc_53@...> wrote:

      Not all endmill shanks are the same.  Before collets were common there were other ways of holding endmills in place.  Some holders required woodruff keys (or the equivalent) other designs also exist.  Without looking at the ad in question I can only speculate as I do not know if you are looking at a holder for one of the alternative (vs plain round shank) end mills or something designed to work with any type of endmill.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic