26862RE: RE: RE: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: My Grizzly S-X3 Mill SQUEALS!

  • verncoc
    Nov 19, 2013

       As with all tech support you do get untrained people trying to help. Call back again and I'm sure you will get someone else and if you don't just ask to speak to someone else. I have had nothing but good experiences with Grizzly when I had to call, but that was with mostly woodworking machines.

      Vern

      ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <COTTERSAY@...> wrote:

      Hi All,

      Well, I phoned Grizzly tech support, and spoke to someone named 'John'.   Not only did he not instantly know what an "Sieg S-X3 Mill" even was, he needed the exact Grizzly part number to look it up.  And even THEN, I could tell by his comments that he didn't have a clue about that particular (and HUGELY popular) Grizzly milling machine.

      I then told him the exact issue I was having (deafening squeal while cranking DOWN on the Z-axis, motor can be on or off), and his suggestion was to remove the S-X3's motor belt and see if it still squealed.  When I again told him it did this with or without the motor rotating, he said, "OK, so it squeals only on the UP motion of the hand-crank"...   It went downhill from there.

      This idiocy went on for another ten minutes, but I don't want to bore you fine gentleman with his clueless suggestions.

      Definitely disappointed with Grizzly Tech Support, to say the least.

      Best,

      -Bill

      ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <gerrywac@...> wrote:

      These hobby machines are built down to a prie and generally use fairly cheap automative grade bearings and it does happen you get the odd duff one.

      they're not difficult to change and fairly cheap unless you upgrade to a better class  but if the mill is only 4 months old I presume you would be covered by the original warranty

      Gerry W
      Leeds UK
      ________________________________
      > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      > From: clevinski@...
      > Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:10:29 -0800
      > Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: My Grizzly S-X3 Mill SQUEALS!
      >

      > Hi, Bill,
      >
      > I had something similar happen to my Real Bull, and ended up having to
      > replace the spindle bearings. This was after I did a modification to
      > belt drive to reduce the gear noise, which was sometimes so loud I had
      > to wear hearing protection while milling. In the end, I'm learned a
      > lot changing the bearings, but the mill was down for almost 4 weeks.
      > In my case, they started to squeal as soon as I put almost any load on
      > them or even if I ran them up to over about 1300 RPM without a load.
      > Hopefully that's not the problem in your case, and Grizzly can help you
      > out.
      >
      > Good luck!
      >
      > Charlie
      > New Jersey, USA
      >

      > ---In grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com, <cotter.sayre@...> wrote:
      >

      > Hi Guys,
      >

      > Hoping someone can help me out, because when I crank my Grizzly
      > S-X3 Mill downward, it gives off an ear splitting squeal. The faster
      > I crank, the louder the noise, and it occurs whether or not I am
      > plunging into stock or not. I have oiled everything that they tell you
      > to oil, but no joy. As extra info, the mill is only about four months
      > old and is used only for aluminum. Any ideas?
      >

      > Thanks!
      >

      > -Bill

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic