26858Re: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: How would I machine a flat-bottomed hole with a boring head?

  • jagness66
    Nov 18, 2013
      Have you told us what diameter hole you need to bore? That might make a difference. Also, how deep?

      Jim

      On Nov 18, 2013, at 4:19 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

      John

      I hope you can put it to work to earn its keep. That is a lot of cash if you only use it to face off the odd hole.

      Malcolm

      Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
      The writing is on the wall.
      Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

      Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: How would I machine a flat-bottomed hole with a boring head?
      To: "GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com" <GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 4:21 AM

      Managed to buy this
      off ebay.for $300< http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261322226592?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 >the
      previous one went for $450This
      head has a #2 MT which suits my mill.Quite
      a rare item,and Wolhlaupter have stopped manufacturing these
      heads.
      JohnSpain

      On Monday, November 18, 2013 1:07 AM,
      "yooperfork@..."
      <yooperfork@...> wrote:

      go to the web and look up wohlhaupter upa3 boring
      heads ..I used one in the tool room one jig bore ..very
      expensive but they do the job...

      ---In grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com,
      <clevinski@...> wrote:

      Hi, All,

      Several people have
      recommended that I buy a boring head for my mini-mill.
      I'm trying to
      visualize how I would use it, and come up with this
      question, which I'm
      sure you experienced machinists have resolved thousands of
      times.

      understand how one would use a boring head in the mill if
      making a through-hole in a something.
      But what I don’t understand is how you would make a
      blind hole, or a
      hole with a lip at the bottom?  If you
      did this on the lathe, you would, as a last step, “face”
      the bottom of the hole
      or lip to make it flat.  But that
      doesn’t
      seem possible with a boring head.

      could imagine doing this with a rotary table, using an end
      mill to machine the flat bottom surface, but only if the
      hole were shallow enough that the end mill could reach
      it.

      How is this operation typically
      done?
      Thanks,CharlieNJ, USA