26849RE: My Grizzly S-X3 Mill SQUEALS!

  • qunungnauraq
    Nov 17, 2013

      The squeal is probably resonance between the lead screw and nut. See if the lead screw or nut is loose or misaligned. I've also heard resonance transmitted by the dials. If everything is in alignment and at the proper backlash, I thicker lubricant may also stop the resonance. I don't own an X3 but I've encountered this problem  before on both mills and lathes. Tightening or honing/aligning gibs may also help.

      ---In grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com, <cotter.sayre@...> wrote:

      Thanks Jeremy, I will do just that on Monday!

      On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Jeremy Winder <cptwinder@...> wrote:

      If you purchased it from Grizzly, give them a call or email. Their support has been awesome on the couple issues I've had on my G0704.

      On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 4:46 AM, dave greenham <davegreenham@...> wrote:

      Hi Bill
      What you say sounds like a bearing going.
      Check the finish on your work, if it's the bearing, you'll find ridges on the finish you'll feel them with your finger. I understand it's only 4 myths old but that makes no difference. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps if the gears are plastic/ nylon that you may have broken a tooth, but you should feel that through the m/c. Sorry can't be more help
      Regards
      Dave U.K.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 15 Nov 2013, at 03:42, "Cotter W. Sayre" <cotter.sayre@...> wrote:

      Hi Guys,

      Hoping someone can help me out, because when I crank my Grizzly S-X3 Mill  downward, it gives off an ear splitting squeal.  The faster I crank, the louder the noise, and it occurs whether or not I am plunging into stock or not.  I have oiled everything that they tell you to oil, but no joy.  As extra info, the mill is only about four months old and is used only for aluminum.  Any ideas?

      Thanks!

      -Bill

      --
      Jeremy - Columbus, GA USA