26817RE: How would I machine a flat-bottomed hole with a boring head?

  • markkimball2000
    Oct 24, 2013

      Doing an internet search on the subject was interesting.  Most opinions ran something like "not easy to do",  "not often really needed", or "do it on a lathe".   RT's+endmill, and CNC also came up a lot.

      Being the owner of an un-used boring head (so far), this subject was of particular interest to me.  Thanks for bringing it up!

      ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi, All,

      Several people have recommended that I buy a boring head for my mini-mill.  I'm trying to visualize how I would use it, and come up with this question, which I'm sure you experienced machinists have resolved thousands of times.

      I understand how one would use a boring head in the mill if making a through-hole in a something.  But what I don’t understand is how you would make a blind hole, or a hole with a lip at the bottom?  If you did this on the lathe, you would, as a last step, “face” the bottom of the hole or lip to make it flat.  But that doesn’t seem possible with a boring head.

      I could imagine doing this with a rotary table, using an end mill to machine the flat bottom surface, but only if the hole were shallow enough that the end mill could reach it.

      How is this operation typically done?

      NJ, USA

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic