26814Re: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Sinpo DRO on LMS X2 mill

  • Alan Reinhart
    Oct 23, 2013
      Kevin - thanks for taking a peek at my new 'baby'!

      Yes - it is DEF a luxury setup.  But then again - the total price was $500 and if you put 1/2 of that for the scales - $250 for three 5-micron glass scales isn't that far from the iGauging style.  As I wrote - Yuriy's Android/Arduino based DRO system looked very good - but in the end was so close in price I went ahead for a commercial version.  It was enough work to just install the darn thing!

      Just did my first work with the DRO and the 'big vise':   Clamped a .7" length of AL in the vise, only roughly centered it on the table.  Then used the DRO's "1/2" function to locate center:  touched one edge - zeroed x - the went over to the other side of x and hit the "X -> 1/2"  button and X was centered.  Did the same for Y - and was ready to go.  Was setting up to drill a hole on a piece of round-stock - worked like down town!   :-)

      As I say - a very luxurious but def handy addition.

      =Alan R.

      On 10/23/2013 2:08 PM, kevin.quiggle@... wrote:

      Thanks for sharing - that is really a nice setup.

      I have the simpler DROs on my mill (came with it - bought used). If I was going to add DRO to a mill I would certainly be tempted to follow your example - looks like a nice big display with some nice built in functions.

      On the other hand: For anyone trying to make a decision on this, I can say this for the cheaper DROs: They do the job well, the accuracy is good, and while they don't do things like bolt circle it's easy enough to do those on a home computer and then use the results manually.

      On the other other hand: That really is a nice looking DRO setup!

      ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I've just competed adding a Sinpo DRO to my LMS 3960.  Normally this set of scales is used on larger machines, but got a set of small Sinpo scales and it worked out very well.

      Details may be seen here:   http://www.avrdev.net/big-dro-small-mill/
      ...with extra pix in the 'Projects' section.

      =Alan R.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic