26746Re: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Rotary Table Book or PDF

    Sep 19, 2013
      Thanks for sharing this great link Herb.

      Barry Young

      From: Herb Walke <herbwalke@...>
      To: Griz MiniMill <grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:30 PM
      Subject: RE: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Rotary Table Book or PDF

      http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/labs/anatomy_&_physiology/a&p203/circulatory_system/vernier_scale/vernier_scales.htm

      This may help

      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      From: clevinski@...
      Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:10:51 -0700
      Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Rotary Table Book or PDF

      Thanks, Alan... that helps, especially the Sherline info.  I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to read the vernier on mine; it's kind of strange, or I just don't know how to read it.  You can see the dial here

      Each division on the moving dial is 5 minutes (12 divisions between degrees).  But how to read the vernier?  There are + and - six increments, so the total range is dividing the 5 minutes of the main dial into 12 parts, or .4166667 minutes per graduation.  That happens to be 25 seconds per graduation, but that doesn't really help much, does it?  If you get alignment with either of the "60" marks on the vernier, that would be 2.5 minutes.  But what about the others?  And why is the 2.5 minute mark on the vernier labeled "60"?

      Anyway, I'll figure it out eventually...

      Thanks for the links!

      Charlie
      New Jersey, US

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic