      It is also a shame when non-native english speakers have to correct the spelling/grammar of us native english speakers. ;) I know no other language so I have no excuse.

      Thanks everyone!

      Jeremy

      On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Jwc C <jwcc8@...> wrote:

      Jeremy...

      Unconsciously, I try to balance and center my tooling and equipment, although not necesarily with precision (unless neccesary for the task).
      I guess that with a heavy tool like a vise, when you take it to the mill's bed, it is extremely difficult to carry off center...so it gets installed roughly centered and squared.  Unless other tools will be used intermittently,  then I mount them side by side IF there will not be any interference.  My X2 does not often afford the space.    Most of the time I center both mill tables and the lathes  carriage before leaving the shop. No specific reason for that....

      In the 9x20 lathe, I always balance the work, if I dont, something  inside me will keep bugging me in the background,  warning me continuosly that it will come flying out of the machine anytime....

      jwcc8
      From: cptwinderatgmaildotcom <cptwinder@...>
      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:17 AM
      Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Vice in the middle of the bed

      Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?

      When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.

      Thanks,

      Jeremy

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional