25721Re: Is the G0704 a good mill?

  • burgercs
    Mar 2, 2013
      Interesting discussion. I had been casually looking for a while for a used bench-top mill, but never found anything I liked. I decided that buying new was maybe the better route. I have more selection, and I know what I'll get will be in good condition. The purchasing process is also a lot easier. You call them, hand over a credit card number and wait until the truck shows up.

      I started looking at the LMS mill with the solid column, but started to do search for other options as well. I ended up putting a spreadsheet together comparing about 20 models of mini mills and mill/drill models. I have all the usual suspects on there from LMS, HF, Micro-Mark, a few options from Wholesale Tool Company, but Grizzly is dominating my table. The only mini mill I am really considering is the LMS. However, although I don't have any specific projects planned, I am afraid that I would run into size limitations a lot sooner than I'd like and started to focus on mills a size or two up.

      After I was done with my comparison, I mentally settled on the Grizzly G0705. That's a good size and real heavy-duty machine for the price (including the stand, an option I like). After setting this topic aside for a few days and then going back to it, I started considering the G0755, quite a bit more expensive, but probably more accurate, a tilting head and more size capacity. Wow, almost 1000 lbs, though. After thinking about that for a while I figure that may be more than I need for most I would ever do and went back to my table again. I currently have the G0704 at the top of my list. It looks like it has a decent size but still compact, tilting head, comes with a stand and is very reasonable priced. Really not that much more expensive than the LMS, but quite a bit more capacity and capability. I am going to think about it for a couple more weeks, but plan to order something soon.

      Clemens

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young <barryjyoung@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jeremy:
      >
      > The G0704 was the mill I chose last month after very intensely analyzing the available offerings in the sub $1500 models. I don't think anything even comes close for what I do.
      >
      > As with any machine purchase, what you intend to make has everything to do with which machine you need. If you are making anything bigger than a breadbox this mill is too small. If you work mostly with steel rather than aluminum, get a more rigid, heavy and expensive machine.
      >
      > I am planning on many mods of my G0704, not because the machine is inadequate, but simply to increase the capabilities of the machine. I intend to build custom brackets from the mill to the wall to improve rigidity, change to belt drive, add a power drawbar and do a CNC conversion. The one complaint I have is that Grizzly has backordered two replacement intermediate gears (I broke the plastic intermediate gear on the first cut while testing to see how big a cut this thing could take in aluminum), and also they have backordered two of the large hand wheels used on the Z axis which I am replacing the stock X and Y axis hand wheels with. This has very much increased the smoothness I can move the table with because I can easily apply more torque on the larger hand wheels. Grizzly did send me one intermediate gear, and it was only $10, but as easily as these strip, they should have had a couple hundred in stock. The belt drive will eliminate this problem.
      >
      > Barry Young

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic