25714Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Is the G0704 a good mill?

  • Dale E
    Mar 1, 2013
      Hi,

      Few owners complain about rigidity problems with the 704, at least far fewer than Seig owners. Hence, there isn't really any info on stiffening out there. Whether this is due to materials mostly used or other factors, can be open to debate. It is probably a 'your mileage may vary' thing.

      How you set up a part to mill will greatly affect stiffness. The object is to keep tooling and spindle as short as possible. So I try very hard to keep parts as low to the table as possible to keep the head to the bottom of the column. I also drop the head to do roughing cuts and then use the spindle fine feed for final finishing cuts.

      As I said, I can get a 3/4" endmill to take .100" full width cut in mild steel with no problems at a 1" to 1 1/2" inch per minute feed rate. But I do pay attention to making the best set up I can. After that, it's a matter of how fast you think you need to move metal. Need to do it fast? You will need to more mass and power. If you have time, like most hobbyists  have, then you can afford to go slower.

      Fly cutters are really only meant for light finishing cuts, of .020" or less. They can even make a full sized mill hammer. Biggest problem with such cutters is lack of torque at low speeds. And not rigidity.

      Dale

      On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Jeremy Winder <cptwinder@...> wrote:

      Thank you for the reply.

      As for what I'm going to use it for, I'm not really sure myself. The projects I currently have in mind fit the work envelope with room to spare and are mostly aluminum. However, I discovered with my 7x10 lathe, once I have a capability I find more and more projects to do. And them seem to get bigger and bigger.

      Can I assume from your comments that that G0704 does have a rigidity problem when cutting steel? Can this be overcome by stiffening the column and/or shallower cuts? Is the issue in the column or in the bed as well?

      Thanks again,

      Jeremy

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic