Re: Green Gringos in David

  • te610blitz
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
      --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, keith woolford
      <keithwoolford@...> wrote:

      > Umbrellas are cheap if you need them.  A raincoat with a hood's
      not bad idea/

      > There are lots of ATMs and a Western Union.

      Many thanks to everyone for the information. Beats sitting up here in
      the States scratching our heads and just wondering.
    • oneathhor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
        Any decent hotel and town has laundry service, compared to the U.S.
        for a fraction of the price they will wash and iron the cloths, if
        early enough same day service, no need to do it yourself, is very
        affordable in Panama to go with freshly ironed and starchy cloths.

        That is one of the benefits that a country like panama offers, some
        people when first arrive to Panama (since we are talking about
        Panama) is to make visual comparisons, a recipe for a thumbs down,
        you have to spend time to discover and let the positive advantages to
        sink in, the longer you stay and the more you get used to them the
        more you will miss them when you get back home, those advantages are
        real and valuable, that is the secret to find out, not the 10 lane
        super expressway or the mega mega mall.

        The traffic en la ciudad de Panama is about the worst thing I
        encountered in Panama so far.

        By the way is the road from Panama city to David finished yet?

        --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "te610blitz"
        <isladebahiagirl@...> wrote:

        > Hi, We are travelling to David for our first Panama trip in late
        June.
        > David will be our base camp as we explore Chiriqui and the Azuero.
        > Couple of questions have come up about laundry facilities and ATM
        > access. Are there U.S. style laundramats or dry cleaners where we
        can
        > get our dirty stuff clean and wearable again? We are currently
        planning
        > to stay at the Gran National and the Alcala Hotel. Do they have in-
        > house cleaning services? Do the local banks have inside ATMs where
        we
        > can get access to our U.S. bank account? Are there Western Union
        > offices in David?
        > One final question. We are coming from the eastern side of the
        > California Sierra Nevada mountains. I'm old enough to remember rain
        > here, but we have read about this rainy season thing in Panama. Are
        > they for real? Do we need umbrellas? I'm thinking we'll look like
        > tourists. Well more touristy than the camera, matching Panama hats
        and
        > bermuda shorts and Moon guidebook we'll be packing. Appreciate any
        > info. Hasta Luego.

      • Dottie
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
          I really like the Hotel Alcala in David. Nice clean and modern rooms,
          reasonable price, protected parking, internet room (extra charge),
          good restaurant. I don't know what the rates are now, but when I
          stayed there about four years ago it was around $20 for one person. I
          still go there for lunch many times when I am in David. (I live in
          Volcan and need to go to David frequently.)

          Dottie

          <keithwoolford@...> wrote:

          > Would highly recommend the very clean and well managed Hotel Puerta
          del Sol in David.

          > It's where I stayed when I was checking out the area and I return
          there often for lunch.

          > They have housecleaning, parking, internet and a nice dining room at
          > reasonable rates....about $30, much less than the Gran National and
          > with a better location than the Hotel Alcala.
          >

          > There are laundries close by where they will do your clothes for you
          same day.

          > Wherever you stay, have a good time, enjoy Panama and travel safe, Keith

          http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298430-d308930-Reviews-Hotel_Puerta_del_Sol-David.html

        • Susan Guberman-Garcia
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
            Puerta del Sol and the Hotel Castilla are the nicest in my opinion.
            Alcala is OK, beds not as good as the Castilla, though and can be
            noisy depending on which side of the hotel you are on. Hotel Iberia
            is about the equivalent of the Alcala BUT it has one strong advantage:
            free wireless internet. Also, if memory serves, Puerta del Sol is
            the only one that has an elevator, if you have mobility issues. Both
            Castilla and Puerto del Sol offer secured underground parking and the
            Castilla also will store your stuff in their little storage room if
            you are on a major shopping trip.

            Most of these hotels will charge you from $22 to $34 for a single or
            double depending on whether you get the corporate rate or the
            pensionado/tercer edad rate.

            The Hotel Nacional is a total waste of money unless you MUST have a
            swimming pool (though when was there on my one and only occasion a
            couple of years ago, the pool was extremely dirty).

            My advice: Forget about dry cleaners. Don't bring stuff to Panama
            that has to be dry cleaned. Stick to cotton and those new washable
            drip-dri synthetics that they have in the TravelSmith catalog (if
            money is no object, that stuff is pricey!) Cotton is the most
            omfortable, easiest to wash and dry. Don't bring rayon or polyester
            clothes.

            --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "Dottie"