another new law?

  • shirleybickers
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
      does anyone know about the "vaccination certificate" we are going to
      need to enter Panama?
    • panamavolcan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
        Here's th ebill Shirley it is in Spanish..but this is not just for
        those entering Panama it is for you and me and everyone that lives
        here..They have around 10-12 different vaccines you will need most you
        had from childhood and would need to get them again . The bill is
        sitting on the President desk waiting to be signed..
        http://www.asamblea.gob.pa/buscador/2007/2007_P_291.pdf

        Best
        Randy

        --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "shirleybickers"
        <shirleybickers@...> wrote:

        > does anyone know about the "vaccination certificate" we are going to
        > need to enter Panama?

      • Susan Guberman-Garcia
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
          Shirley, there is a lot of information about this bill on both
          panama_laws_for_expats and on Panama_Forum. Also you can read a brief
          summary of it on www.noriegaville.com

          Basically what happened is this: The MInistry de Salud wrote a
          comprehensive bill setting up a program for vaccinating kids in
          Panama. Good idea, right? But then some genius stuck in these
          provisions:
          1. Anyone entering Panama will h ave teo show a "vaccination" card
          showing their entire vaccination history going back to childhood. If
          they don't have it, they will be vaccinated at the airport. FOr what,
          you say? Good question. It depends on what the low level guvvie guy
          at Migracion decides is "age appropriate" for you. Don't want to be
          innoculated by a guvvie for stuff you don't need? Having chemo or
          some other immunosuppressant problem? Allergic to eggs? Too
          bad....turn around and go home. See the lengthy list of diseases in
          thte bill. Includes whooping cough, mumps, measles, flu, polio, and a
          bunch of others, plus yellow fever.
          2. Everybody in Panama -visitors, residents, citizens - will have to
          carry a "vaccination card" around and show it to any cop on demand,
          the same as your cedula/residency card/passport. They don't say what
          the penalty is if you can't produce it.....jail, a fine on the spot,
          hauled before some functionary? I guess that will be up to the
          "discretion" ($$$$$$) of the cop....

          People in the tourism business are even as we speak lobbying to have
          those provisions stricken from the bill before the president signs it.
          Nobody will come to Panama if they have to do this.

          Those of us who are in the tourism arena are starting to feel a bit
          like we have a bulls eye on our butts.....

          <shirleybickers@...> wrote:

          > does anyone know about the "vaccination certificate" we are going to
          > need to enter Panama?

        • Carlos Quintero
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
            Shirley:
            Come to CEW. The Topic is hot at this time!
            WE still trying to figure out what shots will be needed, since it goes by age group.
            Roberto.

            shirleybickers <shirleybickers@...> wrote:
            does anyone know about the "vaccination certificate" we are going to
            need to enter Panama?

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:Gringos_in_David_Panama-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:Gringos_in_David_Panama-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Susan Guberman-Garcia
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
              I'm not so sure that Shirley will want to wade through all the
              barnyard humour at CEW just to read about the vaccination law. She
              might do better visiting panama_laws or Panama_forum and typing in
              "vaccination" to see the threads.

              --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, Carlos Quintero