Re: Rules for posting on this forum

  • mf111e
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
      Nice to hear that stupid comments like "faux snooze" won't be tolerated.

      --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Burnet" <David@...> wrote:

      > Lynn,
      >
      > Yes...how things are said is crucial. One of the persons that I know and
      > respect the most has political views that, frankly, scare me. Yet when it
      > comes to doing something for someone I find I am always in agreement with
      > this person. Which surprises and delights me.
      >
      > He manages to share his opposing views in a cordial, polite and considerate
      > way. So that his views which are so different than mine is never a problem.
      > I admire him a lot even though I privately view his politics as
      > unreasonable, unworkable, and even wacky...it makes no difference to me. I
      > value the friendship of many good people with whom have political views I
      > do not like. And I respect their decency and good heart.
      >
      > Which only illustrates the importance and value of what you are saying. How
      > we say things is crucial.
      >
      > And we can disagree with people and have mutual respect. A good way to
      > live...and, I believe, the preference of most of the good people on this
      > Group.
      >
      > I am glad these things are being spoken of and that such good standards and
      > ways of living be something we are reminded of. Good to re-enforce
      > standards that this Group is based on!
      >
      > Nastiness and attacking really is not the norm or wanted here by most of
      > us, I believe.
      >
      > -David

    • Katherine Gallimore
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
        To be clear, Gringos In David is a neutral site, neither promoting the left or the right wing agenda.  We do not accept intolerance and nastiness, whether it be attacks on someone's politics or religion or whatever.  It's possible to discuss topics without resorting to name calling.  I am thankful to have so many here who understand this and have made it a great site to find answers to questions concerning living in Panama without fear of being flamed.

        Nice to hear that stupid comments like "faux snooze" won't be tolerated.

        --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Burnet" <David@...> wrote:

        > Lynn,
        >
        > Yes...how things are said is crucial. One of the persons that I know and
        > respect the most has political views that, frankly, scare me. Yet when it
        > comes to doing something for someone I find I am always in agreement with
        > this person. Which surprises and delights me.
        >
        > He manages to share his opposing views in a cordial, polite and considerate
        > way. So that his views which are so different than mine is never a problem.
        > I admire him a lot even though I privately view his politics as
        > unreasonable, unworkable, and even wacky...it makes no difference to me. I
        > value the friendship of many good people with whom have political views I
        > do not like. And I respect their decency and good heart.
        >
        > Which only illustrates the importance and value of what you are saying. How
        > we say things is crucial.
        >
        > And we can disagree with people and have mutual respect. A good way to
        > live...and, I believe, the preference of most of the good people on this
        > Group.
        >
        > I am glad these things are being spoken of and that such good standards and
        > ways of living be something we are reminded of. Good to re-enforce
        > standards that this Group is based on!
        >
        > Nastiness and attacking really is not the norm or wanted here by most of
        > us, I believe.
        >
        > -David

      • utsaladdy
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
          I think its interesting that other Panama related forums, some of them with a far larger membership base than this one (Panamaforum is a good example) have been able to function quite successfully without these kind of stepping on eggshells, don't ever offend anyone worries. Maybe its time to just relax, and let whatever conversations happen that are going to happen. I think that is basically what Shirley did when she set this group up. Of course, it really is YOUR group now, and you are free to do whatever you please.

          --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Gallimore <katherinegallimore@...> wrote:

          > To be clear, Gringos In David is a neutral site, neither promoting the left or the right wing agenda.  We do not accept intolerance and nastiness, whether it be attacks on someone's politics or religion or whatever.  It's possible to discuss topics without resorting to name calling.  I am thankful to have so many here who understand this and have made it a great site to find answers to questions concerning living in Panama without fear of being flamed.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Katherine Gallimore
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
            If you want to say anything you please, I believe that you can find a home with Chiriqui Libre.  If you want to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative (as in the post to which I am responding), criticize, call names and otherwise be obnoxious, you are not wanted here.

            I think its interesting that other Panama related forums, some of them with a far larger membership base than this one (Panamaforum is a good example) have been able to function quite successfully without these kind of stepping on eggshells, don't ever offend anyone worries. Maybe its time to just relax, and let whatever conversations happen that are going to happen. I think that is basically what Shirley did when she set this group up. Of course, it really is YOUR group now, and you are free to do whatever you please.

            --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Gallimore <katherinegallimore@...> wrote:

            > To be clear, Gringos In David is a neutral site, neither promoting the left or the right wing agenda.  We do not accept intolerance and nastiness, whether it be attacks on someone's politics or religion or whatever.  It's possible to discuss topics without resorting to name calling.  I am thankful to have so many here who understand this and have made it a great site to find answers to questions concerning living in Panama without fear of being flamed.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Dave The Lost Cat
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
              I am a licensed pilot.
              I have always been crazy about aircraft.
              I am proud to be a "wingnut"! ;-)

              --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "mf111e" <mf111e@...> wrote:

              > Nice to hear that stupid comments like "faux snooze" won't be tolerated.
              >
              > --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Burnet" <David@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Lynn,
              > >
              > > Yes...how things are said is crucial. One of the persons that I know and
              > > respect the most has political views that, frankly, scare me. Yet when it
              > > comes to doing something for someone I find I am always in agreement with
              > > this person. Which surprises and delights me.
              > >
              > > He manages to share his opposing views in a cordial, polite and considerate
              > > way. So that his views which are so different than mine is never a problem.
              > > I admire him a lot even though I privately view his politics as
              > > unreasonable, unworkable, and even wacky...it makes no difference to me. I
              > > value the friendship of many good people with whom have political views I
              > > do not like. And I respect their decency and good heart.
              > >
              > > Which only illustrates the importance and value of what you are saying. How
              > > we say things is crucial.
              > >
              > > And we can disagree with people and have mutual respect. A good way to
              > > live...and, I believe, the preference of most of the good people on this
              > > Group.
              > >
              > > I am glad these things are being spoken of and that such good standards and
              > > ways of living be something we are reminded of. Good to re-enforce
              > > standards that this Group is based on!
              > >
              > > Nastiness and attacking really is not the norm or wanted here by most of
              > > us, I believe.
              > >
              > > -David

            • Dave The Lost Cat
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
                I may paraphrase this, but I have always admired something Thomas Jefferson said: "I never let a difference of opinion over politics or religion interfere with a good friendship".