Travel from San Jose to David

  • deckerm55
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      I will be traveling from San Jose to David, and do not want to take
      the Ticabus. Can anyone tell me what other bus lines operate between
      San Jose and David?
    • panamapros
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Theres another one called Panaline...
        You can also take a bus to the frontier and then take any
        frontier-David bus.

        --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "deckerm55"
        <deckerm55@...> wrote:

        > I will be traveling from San Jose to David, and do not want to take
        > the Ticabus. Can anyone tell me what other bus lines operate between
        > San Jose and David?

      • colin hopton
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "panamapros"
          <livia@...> wrote:

          > Theres another one called Panaline...

          > What a pity people claim to be experts...have done on damn near
          every forum about Panama

          The bus that runs from San Jose to the David Terminal is TRACOPA,
          one direct bus per day I believe, leaves earlyish (6ish) in the
          morning and is a very interesting run.

          Not really 80% sure of times, or which terminal in San Jose....I
          suggest check on the internet, and really suggest grab taxi and book
          your ticket seat a couple of days in advance when you are in San
          Jose...bus does tend to get full. Say around 10 hours, stops for
          meals/coffee breaks, bus A/C so take jacket, and maybe earplugs if
          not a very loud ¿¡music!? fan....facilities on bus but here best
          cross legs.

          It can be quicker maybe to catch a bus to the Frontier..Paso
          Canoas..bring yourself thru both sets of customs/immigration...for
          the small cost involved do have an outward from the Rep Panama
          ticket as a favourite from immigration is to ask for the return
          ticket....can get visa etc. at the Frontier
          May even be worth your while to hire one of the many 'assistants' to
          help you thru immigration (not more than $10 and that should include
          them buying the stamps necessary)

          Worst part of the journey I hate to say is the blasted Rep Panama
          immigration, they can be difficult if they have bad stomach so
          smile/smile/smile more and do be ultra polite.

          Local service bus fron the Republic side of the border to David,
          frequent service to at least 9pm.

          There are also about 3 flights per week from San Jose to David

          Do not arrive for bus at last minute with no ticket....both Costa
          Rica and here that is unwise....at least an hour in advance and day
          ahead if at all possible....bus does get full full.

          Colin
        • scot arnold
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            Air Panama 1 hour flight  from SJO to David about $100 bucks and way better than 10 hours on a bus. Very easy but somtimes time consuming imagration in David airport. None of the bullshit like at the boarder. Well worth it at twice the price.

            <deckerm55@. ..> wrote:

            > I will be traveling from San Jose to David, and do not want to take
            > the Ticabus. Can anyone tell me what other bus lines operate between
            > San Jose and David?

          • marina brown
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
              Tica Bus does not service David. You can get off there but must pay all the way through to Panama City for about 25000 colones. Tracopa is the only regular bus line to service David, to the best of my knowledge. It is not air conditioned, has no bathroom facilites and is between a six and seven hour trip depending upon the harassment at the frontier.The fare in December was $12.50 each way. The Tracopa "terminal" in San Jose is close to barrio Mexico and is a real trip, like something out of a travelogue and you need to be careful there.David is a different story, not exactly the New York Transit Authority terminal but significantly better than Tracopa. If you take Tracopa don't load up on coffee before you go as the first piss call is El Empalme and then a food stop around Baruca, then the frontier at Paso Canoas. The Tica Bus is air conditioned, with bathroom facilities. Get your ticket as early as possible. Ask where is the rest room on the bus and select a seat removed from it so you don't have to smell urine all the way, unless you're Irish like me and it reminds you of the bars you hung out in, when a kid. Watch your luggage like a hawk especially in Costa Rica which is second only to Egypt in petty and not so petty larceny.Good luck!

              <deckerm55@. ..> wrote:

              > I will be traveling from San Jose to David, and do not want to take
              > the Ticabus. Can anyone tell me what other bus lines operate between
              > San Jose and David?

            • chiriquijohn
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
                Tracopa bus line is located at Coca Cola bus terminal. This area is
                unsafe. Take a taxi. There are four ticket windows. Take the one on
                the far right. When I took Trancopa the bus left at 7:30 AM. Panama's
                Immigration at that time required a return ticket. The cost should be
                around $16/round trip. Bus arrives David around 5:30.

                PS Buy your ticket a day or two in advance. After you leave the
                terminal do not take the taxis waiting outside. They are a rip off.
                Walk a couple of blocks and flag one down.

                Cheers. John