Re: [Gringos_in_David_Panama] Re: 34th Spay/Neuter Clinic in Volcan

  • Carole Newsome
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2010
      I can't believe you can get that kind of money from Panamanians, much less the Gringos. However, thank you for the information and keep posting it on Noticias.

      I am a volunteer for Amigos in Boquete and I am very involved in adoptions. Please let me know of any requirements. Unbelievable how particular people are.

      Thank you,
      Carole

      FYI: We did 100 animals today!

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
        That "kind of money?" $20 for a dog and $10 for a cat is really cheap considering it includes payment to the doctor, anesthesia, injections of long-lasting antibiotics, pain medication, anti-parasite, vitamin B-12,and treatment for fleas and ticks. And considering the much larger fees that local vets demand. But you're right that many Panamanians can't (or say they can't) contribute that much. As I said, no one is turned away for inability to pay.

        Re asking more from gringos and those who can afford to pay more: the program is designed for low-income Panamanians. HOWEVER, I decided to allow others to take advantage of Dr. Tello's expertise because...well, I'm sure you know the reputations of the local vets. But no one is forced to come. They are certainly welcome to have their animals sterilized by a local vet and pay that much (and more). Gringos who have their animals sterilized at our clinics are very happy with Dr. Tello's surgical expertise and care of their pets and gladly contribute the larger amount. Dr. Tello is certainly the only vet I will allow to touch any of my own 14 rescued dogs.

        Ruby and her many volunteers do a wonderful job in Boquete. She's a good friend and I admire her greatly. In Boquete, you guys have fund raising activities to help finance the clinics. But Volcan is an entirely different situation. Other than having volunteers on clinic days, I'm a "one-man show" here and do everything else regarding the clinics myself. And contributions at the clinics plus the few donations I receive don't nearly cover the costs, so I largely finance the sterilization clinics in Volcan from my own pocket...$4,000-plus so far.

        I do refer anyone asking about adoptions to your adoption web site, although I haven't had anyone in Volcan ask about an adoption. In Volcan it's very difficult to find a good home for dogs. That's one reason I've ended up with so many dogs myself - my heart just wouldn't say "no."

        Congratulations for the great job you guys do in Boquete.

      • pjbarrett@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
        Dottie
        Did  you know that this year for the first time, Amigos de Animales de Boquete is one of the 4 recipients of the money that will be raised by Bid 4 Boquete.
        I promise it will be a significant amount.
        It would be great if you could encourage your friends in Volcan and David to support this effort by bidding on our auction items (http://picasaweb.google.com/113124356077264589665/Bid4BoqueteAuctionItems#)
        and printing out a couple of copies of the attached poster and putting it up.

        Penny

        That "kind of money?" $20 for a dog and $10 for a cat is really cheap considering it includes payment to the doctor, anesthesia, injections of long-lasting antibiotics, pain medication, anti-parasite, vitamin B-12,and treatment for fleas and ticks. And considering the much larger fees that local vets demand. But you're right that many Panamanians can't (or say they can't) contribute that much. As I said, no one is turned away for inability to pay.

        Re asking more from gringos and those who can afford to pay more: the program is designed for low-income Panamanians. HOWEVER, I decided to allow others to take advantage of Dr. Tello's expertise because...well, I'm sure you know the reputations of the local vets. But no one is forced to come. They are certainly welcome to have their animals sterilized by a local vet and pay that much (and more). Gringos who have their animals sterilized at our clinics are very happy with Dr. Tello's surgical expertise and care of their pets and gladly contribute the larger amount. Dr. Tello is certainly the only vet I will allow to touch any of my own 14 rescued dogs.

        Ruby and her many volunteers do a wonderful job in Boquete. She's a good friend and I admire her greatly. In Boquete, you guys have fund raising activities to help finance the clinics. But Volcan is an entirely different situation. Other than having volunteers on clinic days, I'm a "one-man show" here and do everything else regarding the clinics myself. And contributions at the clinics plus the few donations I receive don't nearly cover the costs, so I largely finance the sterilization clinics in Volcan from my own pocket...$4,000-plus so far.

        I do refer anyone asking about adoptions to your adoption web site, although I haven't had anyone in Volcan ask about an adoption. In Volcan it's very difficult to find a good home for dogs. That's one reason I've ended up with so many dogs myself - my heart just wouldn't say "no."

        Congratulations for the great job you guys do in Boquete.

        Dottie

        --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, Carole Newsome <jc_caldera@...> wrote:

        > I can't believe you can get that kind of money from Panamanians, much less the Gringos. However, thank you for the information and keep posting it on Noticias.
        >
        > I am a volunteer for Amigos in Boquete and I am very involved in adoptions. Please let me know of any requirements. Unbelievable how particular people are.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Carole
        >
        > FYI: We did 100 animals today!

      • richard
        Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
          That's great, Penny!  Why not spread some of the wealth to the clinics in David and Volcan as well?

          [Attachment(s) from pjbarrett@... included below]

        • pjbarrett@aol.com
          Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
            The volunteers in the 4 selected Bid 4 Boquete beneficiary organizations are:
               -- amigos de animales de Boquete
               -- Club de Leones de Boquete
               -- Buenos Vecinos de Boquete
               -- Fundacion pro Integracion (Handicap Foundation)

            All of the volunteers for those groups put in countless hours soliciting donations, serving as committee chairmen and workers, and doing the numerous jobs necessary for a large 2-day event like we're having.

            I invite all civic minded folks (like you) from Volcan to come by and learn how it's done. We're having a fancy wine tasting with live music on Dec 4th followed by a live auction of a selected (maybe 27-28) auction items.

            On Sunday, Dec 5th we're having a 5 hour family-type event with children's games (including Santa), food, drinks, venta de patio, book sale, bake sale, plant sale, and a silent auction with about 300 items.

            Anything I or my fellow committee members can do to help you guys in Volcan do something similar, we'll be happy to do.

            Penny

            That "kind of money?" $20 for a dog and $10 for a cat is really cheap considering it includes payment to the doctor, anesthesia, injections of long-lasting antibiotics, pain medication, anti-parasite, vitamin B-12,and treatment for fleas and ticks. And considering the much larger fees that local vets demand. But you're right that many Panamanians can't (or say they can't) contribute that much. As I said, no one is turned away for inability to pay.

            Re asking more from gringos and those who can afford to pay more: the program is designed for low-income Panamanians. HOWEVER, I decided to allow others to take advantage of Dr. Tello's expertise because...well, I'm sure you know the reputations of the local vets. But no one is forced to come. They are certainly welcome to have their animals sterilized by a local vet and pay that much (and more). Gringos who have their animals sterilized at our clinics are very happy with Dr. Tello's surgical expertise and care of their pets and gladly contribute the larger amount. Dr. Tello is certainly the only vet I will allow to touch any of my own 14 rescued dogs.

            Ruby and her many volunteers do a wonderful job in Boquete. She's a good friend and I admire her greatly. In Boquete, you guys have fund raising activities to help finance the clinics. But Volcan is an entirely different situation. Other than having volunteers on clinic days, I'm a "one-man show" here and do everything else regarding the clinics myself. And contributions at the clinics plus the few donations I receive don't nearly cover the costs, so I largely finance the sterilization clinics in Volcan from my own pocket...$4,000-plus so far.

            I do refer anyone asking about adoptions to your adoption web site, although I haven't had anyone in Volcan ask about an adoption. In Volcan it's very difficult to find a good home for dogs. That's one reason I've ended up with so many dogs myself - my heart just wouldn't say "no."

            Congratulations for the great job you guys do in Boquete.

            Dottie

            --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, Carole Newsome <jc_caldera@...> wrote:

            > I can't believe you can get that kind of money from Panamanians, much less the Gringos. However, thank you for the information and keep posting it on Noticias.
            >
            > I am a volunteer for Amigos in Boquete and I am very involved in adoptions. Please let me know of any requirements. Unbelievable how particular people are.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Carole
            >
            > FYI: We did 100 animals today!

          • Carole Newsome
            Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
              I was referring to the $50 and $40. I can hardly get them to contribute $10 and $5.
              Thanks for the info,
              Carole

              That "kind of money?" $20 for a dog and $10 for a cat is really cheap considering it includes payment to the doctor, anesthesia, injections of long-lasting antibiotics, pain medication, anti-parasite, vitamin B-12,and treatment for fleas and ticks. And considering the much larger fees that local vets demand. But you're right that many Panamanians can't (or say they can't) contribute that much. As I said, no one is turned away for inability to pay.

              Re asking more from gringos and those who can afford to pay more: the program is designed for low-income Panamanians. HOWEVER, I decided to allow others to take advantage of Dr. Tello's expertise because...well, I'm sure you know the reputations of the local vets. But no one is forced to come. They are certainly welcome to have their animals sterilized by a local vet and pay that much (and more). Gringos who have their animals sterilized at our clinics are very happy with Dr. Tello's surgical expertise and care of their pets and gladly contribute the larger amount. Dr. Tello is certainly the only vet I will allow to touch any of my own 14 rescued dogs.

              Ruby and her many volunteers do a wonderful job in Boquete. She's a good friend and I admire her greatly. In Boquete, you guys have fund raising activities to help finance the clinics. But Volcan is an entirely different situation. Other than having volunteers on clinic days, I'm a "one-man show" here and do everything else regarding the clinics myself. And contributions at the clinics plus the few donations I receive don't nearly cover the costs, so I largely finance the sterilization clinics in Volcan from my own pocket...$4,000-plus so far.

              I do refer anyone asking about adoptions to your adoption web site, although I haven't had anyone in Volcan ask about an adoption. In Volcan it's very difficult to find a good home for dogs. That's one reason I've ended up with so many dogs myself - my heart just wouldn't say "no."

              Congratulations for the great job you guys do in Boquete.

              Dottie

              --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, Carole Newsome <jc_caldera@...> wrote:

              > I can't believe you can get that kind of money from Panamanians, much less the Gringos. However, thank you for the information and keep posting it on Noticias.
              >
              > I am a volunteer for Amigos in Boquete and I am very involved in adoptions. Please let me know of any requirements. Unbelievable how particular people are.
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Carole
              >
              > FYI: We did 100 animals today!

            • Stephen
              Message 7 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
                Ron, Now thats a GREAT idea! How about it Penny!!

                Steve

                --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, richard <rkondivers@...> wrote:

                > That's great, Penny! Why not spread some of the wealth to the clinics in
                > David and Volcan as well?
                >
                > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM, <pjbarrett@...> wrote:
                >

                > > [Attachment(s) <#12c07a3e9691ed62_TopText> from pjbarrett@... below]
                > >
                > > Dottie
                > > Did you know that this year for the first time, Amigos de Animales de
                > > Boquete is one of the 4 recipients of the money that will be raised by Bid 4
                > > Boquete.
                > > I promise it will be a significant amount.
                > > It would be great if you could encourage your friends in Volcan and David
                > > to support this effort by bidding on our auction items<http://picasaweb.google.com/113124356077264589665/Bid4BoqueteAuctionItems#>(
                > > http://picasaweb.google.com/113124356077264589665/Bid4BoqueteAuctionItems#
                > > )
                > > and printing out a couple of copies of the attached poster and putting it
                > > up.
                > >
                > > Penny

              • viajar2566
                Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
                  Sorry guys, but it's not reasonable to ask Boquete to contribute to the sterilization clinics in David or Volcan. The people in Boquete do all the work for these fund-raising events, and organizations in Boquete should be the recipients of their work.

                  I do suggest that we in Volcan implement some fund-raising activities to benefit the clinics (and perhaps other endeavors). Who is willing to get a group together to go to Boquete's auction on Dec. 4th and 5th to learn how they do it? My plate is full - I don't have the time or energy to spearhead another activity, but I'd sure appreciate it if some Volcan residents would take charge and implement some fund-raising activities for the clinics.

                  A vende de pati (yard sale) is another idea...someone would need to collect items for sale, organize it, and conduct the sale.

                  Dottie

                  --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <smyers10@...> wrote:

                  > Ron, Now thats a GREAT idea! How about it Penny!!
                  >
                  > Steve
                  >

                  > --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, richard <rkondivers@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > That's great, Penny! Why not spread some of the wealth to the clinics in
                  > > David and Volcan as well?
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM, <pjbarrett@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > [Attachment(s) <#12c07a3e9691ed62_TopText> from pjbarrett@ below]
                  > > >
                  > > > Dottie
                  > > > Did you know that this year for the first time, Amigos de Animales de
                  > > > Boquete is one of the 4 recipients of the money that will be raised by Bid 4
                  > > > Boquete.
                  > > > I promise it will be a significant amount.
                  > > > It would be great if you could encourage your friends in Volcan and David
                  > > > to support this effort by bidding on our auction items<http://picasaweb.google.com/113124356077264589665/Bid4BoqueteAuctionItems#>(
                  > > > http://picasaweb.google.com/113124356077264589665/Bid4BoqueteAuctionItems#
                  > > > )
                  > > > and printing out a couple of copies of the attached poster and putting it
                  > > > up.
                  > > >
                  > > > Penny

                • richard
                  Message 9 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
                    If it's reasonable to ask Volcanian and Davidians to contribute and enter bids, it seems fair.

                  • pjbarrett@aol.com
                    Message 10 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
                      If you enter bids you may buy something. And you may buy it very cheaply.
                      So, what I'm saying is it's not charity asking you to bid on something. You get lots of value for your money.
                      And, Dottie is right. It's not reasonable to ask us to work to support your charities. We offer to give you some hints on how it's done.
                      Penny

                      If it's reasonable to ask Volcanian and Davidians to contribute and enter bids, it seems fair.

                      On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, viajar2566 <viajar2566@...> wrote:

                      Sorry guys, but it's not reasonable to ask Boquete to contribute to the sterilization clinics in David or Volcan. The people in Boquete do all the work for these fund-raising events, and organizations in Boquete should be the recipients of their work.

                      I do suggest that we in Volcan implement some fund-raising activities to benefit the clinics (and perhaps other endeavors). Who is willing to get a group together to go to Boquete's auction on Dec. 4th and 5th to learn how they do it? My plate is full - I don't have the time or energy to spearhead another activity, but I'd sure appreciate it if some Volcan residents would take charge and implement some fund-raising activities for the clinics.

                      A vende de pati (yard sale) is another idea...someone would need to collect items for sale, organize it, and conduct the sale.

                      Dottie

                      --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <smyers10@...> wrote:

                      > Ron, Now thats a GREAT idea! How about it Penny!!
                      >
                      > Steve
                      >

                      > --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, richard <rkondivers@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > That's great, Penny! Why not spread some of the wealth to the clinics in
                      > > David and Volcan as well?
                      > >
                      > > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM, <pjbarrett@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > [Attachment(s) <#12c07a3e9691ed62_TopText> from pjbarrett@ below]
                      > > >
                      > > > Dottie
                      > > > Did you know that this year for the first time, Amigos de Animales de
                      > > > Boquete is one of the 4 recipients of the money that will be raised by Bid 4
                      > > > Boquete.
                      > > > I promise it will be a significant amount.
                      > > > It would be great if you could encourage your friends in Volcan and David
                      > > > to support this effort by bidding on our auction items<http://picasaweb.google.com/113124356077264589665/Bid4BoqueteAuctionItems#>(
                      > > > http://picasaweb.google.com/113124356077264589665/Bid4BoqueteAuctionItems#
                      > > > )
                      > > > and printing out a couple of copies of the attached poster and putting it
                      > > > up.
                      > > >
                      > > > Penny

                    • susanagg1
                      Message 11 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
                        I disagree. While its fine for big organizations like the Red Cross to offer help worldwide (or country wide), this is a small, local charity, run 100% by volunteers. It is quite reasonable for its services to be limited to the local community from whence is volunteer pool is derived. We are in Bocas and we donate a vacation rental stay and I don't feel that gives me the right to demand that it fund Bocas charities. Bocas has a charitable organization, BESO, that supports schools and school children in the Bocas islands and adjacent mainland areas. That is where the volunteers are from and that is where its focus is. But there are donors from all over, including David and Boquete, who donate restaurant meals, hotel stays, etc.
                        There is nothing to prevent the people in Volcan from setting up a volunteer organization to help fund its local charities and meet local needs. I am sure they will get support from people outside Volcan if they do.

                        --- In Gringos_in_David_Panama@yahoogroups.com, richard <rkondivers@...> wrote:

                        > If it's reasonable to ask Volcanian and Davidians to contribute and enter bids, it seems fair.

                      • Steve Lucas
                        Message 12 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
                          Ditto Susan
                          Steve Lucas