Introductory Post...Welcome!

  • Scott Robert Knitter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 1999
      Dear New Friends:

      Thank you for subscribing to the brand-new Gregorian Chant Mailing List.
      This isn't the only mailing list in the world dedicated to the chant, but
      it is the newest. Welcome!

      Our focus here will be the use of chant in liturgy, its natural context, as
      opposed to its separate performance or its scholarly study--although
      discussion of liturgical chant need not avoid these other aspects entirely.

      What prompted me to open this list is a one-hour talk I am to give on
      introducing chant in parish churches, this August as part of the "Sursum
      corda!" conference being put on in Chicago by the Old Catholic churches. I
      would like, with your permission, to add some of your ideas, with
      attribution, to the materials I will prepare for this talk.

      Please feel free to e-mail me privately if you have any questions or
      problems regarding the operation of the list. Now, to begin, an opening
      question:

      How would you go about introducing liturgical Gregorian chant in a parish
      that's never done any?

      I look forward to our discussions.

      All blessings,
      Scott