Sustainable Greenwood Phinney Groups and Dec. 2011 Events

  • Anne Engstrom
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29 11:32 AM

      Sustainable Greenwood Phinney Groups and Dec. 2011 Events

      Sustainable Greenwood Phinney meets on the 4th Tues. of every month.  Dec meeting to be announced

      www.sustainablegreenwoodphinney.org   Check Calendar on Website or email achelan@... for more information.

      Democracy Conversations

      Mon. Dec.. 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th

      Greenwood library Conference Room or main room

      Discussing: Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America by Barbara  Erhenreich

      Dec. 5th- Chapter 2 The Years of Magical Thinking   45

      Dec. 12th - Chapter 3  The Dark Roots of American Optimism     74

      Dec. 19th - Chapter 4 Motivating Business and the Business of                                                             Motivation     97

      Dec. 26th - Chapter 5 God Wants You to Be Rich     123

      Garden Group

      Cancelled until Feb. or March

      Coffee Chat

      Every Wed. - Dec.7th, 14th, 21st, 28th - - Neighborhood gathering at the Green Bean 8533 Greenwood Ave N.    Connect with community- Share what is happening in the neighborhood.

      Elder Culture Group

      1st & 3rd Wed. of the month, Dec.7th and 21st, 4:30 - 6:00 PM

      Green Bean 8533 Greenwood Ave. N. Limited number of participants

      The Phinney Village is a program concept for aging in place in our

      neighborhood and a key ingredient in the planning and success is a new

      vision of aging.  This is a support group for Boomers!

      Puget Sound Alliance for Retired Americans & SAGE

      Dec. 8thth, 2nd Thurs. of each month at 1:00 pm at the Greenwood Senior Center. Discussion Group on Legislation and concerns that affect retired Americans.

      Community Happiness Circle: Exploring Community, Calling, and Conviviality

      Thurs. Dec. 1, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th, pm “Green Bean Coffee House, 6:30-8:00pm

       New research suggests that happiness lies in social ties, work that brings meaning, and a commitment to joie de vivre. Further, Seattle is working to become a Gross National Happiness City. What do these two things mean to Phinney Greenwood neighbors? This on going circle will help people work on both personal and community happiness goals in the atmosphere of a supportive community.

      Citizen's Climate Lobby

      1st Sat of Month, Dec. 3rd, 2011 - 9:30am   to 1:00 pm

      Anne's House: email Anne: achelan at aol.com

        Seattle CCL Web Site: https://sites.google.com/site/citizensclimatelobbyseattle/Home?pli=1

      December Guest Speaker: Col. Mark 'Puck' Mykleby, USMC, co-author of ‘A National Strategic Narrative’

      Mark “Puck” Mykleby has served as a Marine fighter pilot, participating in combat operations in support of Operations PROVIDE PROMISE, DENY FLIGHT, SOUTHERN WATCH, and IRAQI FREEDOM.  From July 2009 until April 2011 he served as a special strategic assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff developing grand strategy. He is co-author of “A National Strategic Narrative,” a report suggesting that America must “move beyond a strategy of containment to a strategy of sustainment(sustainability); from an emphasis on power and control to an emphasis on strength and influence; from a defensive posture of exclusion, to a proactive posture of engagement.” Mark retired from the Marine Corps in July 2011 and has joined LRN, a company dedicated to helping organizations build ethical, values-based cultures that inspire principled performance in business and in life.

      contact  louandjoant@...

      Other Events :

      PNA Phinney Neighborhood Center

      www.phinneycenter.org  206-783-2244

      6532 Phinney Ave  N.

      GSC Greenwood Senior Center

      525 N. 85th St. (206) 297-0875

      PNA Winter Festive and Crafts Fair

      Sat. & Sun. Dec. 3 & 4th 10:am to 5pm

      The holidays are approaching quickly. Here in PhinneyWood, that means it’s Winter Festival time. This year’s event will feature 115 artists and craftspeople, hundreds of musicians and dancers, a quilt raffle, bake sale and lunch items. As in the past, the event is expected to attract over 4,000 people from the greater Seattle area.

      The fair is open on both days from 10 am-5 pm and the price of ad- mission ($4 for adults, $2 for members, and a can of food – children 12 and under are free) supports PNA programs such as the PNA Hot Meal Program (formerly known as the PNA Soup Kitchen), before and after school childcare, the Greenwood Senior Center, the tool library and the art gallery as well as community projects for neighbors in need and the Greenwood Food Bank.

      Positive Images Of Aging Film

      Series: Elsa and Fred Friday, December 2, 1-3:30 pm. Free. GSC.

      Laugh and interact with others while en- joying some entertainment, interesting discussions and tasty snacks. Elsa and Fred is another fun movie about two elderly people who meet and decide that life still holds many exciting adventures. They live in the same apartment house in Madrid and Elsa eventually lures Fred into a late life romance much to the discomfort of their grown chil- dren. An award winning romantic comedy from Spain and Argentina. This film series program is facilitated by Ruth McCormick and Carin Mack. RSVP at 206.297.0875.

      PNA Game Night Friday,

       December 2, 7:15-9:30 pm. PNC Blue Building, Blue Room.

      Play board games chosen by attendees

      PNA Village: Aging in Place Tuesday,

       December 6, 7 pm. Free. PNC.

      Come to an information session and find out more about the PNA Village and how

      it can help you remain in your home and neighborhood while staying active and en- gaged in your community. Questions? Call Joanna at 206.297.0875.

      Rainwater Harvesting, Management & Catchment Wednesday,

      December 14, 7-9 pm. PNC Blue Building,

      Room 6. $20 PNA member, $25 Public.

      Bus routes in your neighborhood may change next June

      Metro is recommending the following routes be deleted, reduced, or revised: 25, 38, 42, 79, 99, 119, 129, 139, 162, 175, 196, 219, 600, 912, 925, and 935 (a detailed description of the proposed changes is available on Metro’s website).

      On Wednesday, December 7, 2011, the King County Council’s Transportation, Economy and Environment Committee will hold a special committee meeting starting at 9:30 a.m. in the King County Council Chamber on the 10th floor of the King County Courthouse (516 Third Avenue in Seattle). Members of the public are welcome to attend and testify concerning the proposed service changes. Alternatively, comments may be emailed to: janice.mansfield@...

      Meaningful Movies -

      Every Friday, 7:00 to 9:00

      5019 Keystone Place N., Seattle www.meaningfulmovies.org **

      and open to the public! ...but Donations are kindly accepted).

      Friday, December 2, 2011, 7:00 to 9:30 PM

      Film:"PLAY AGAIN" (80 min, Tonje Hessen Schei, 2010)

      One generation from now most people in the U.S. will have spent more time in the virtual world than in nature. New media technologies have improved our lives in countless ways. Information now appears with a click. Overseas friends are part of our daily lives. And even grandma loves Wii.

      But what are we missing when we are behind screens? And how will this impact our children, our society, and eventually, our planet? At a time when children play more behind screens than outside, PLAY AGAIN explores the changing balance between the virtual and natural worlds. Is our connection to nature disappearing down the digital rabbit hole?

      This moving and humorous documentary follows six teenagers who, like the “average American child,” spend five to fifteen hours a day behind screens. PLAY AGAIN unplugs these teens and takes them on their first wilderness adventure – no electricity, no cell phone coverage, no virtual reality.

      Through the voices of children and leading experts including journalist Richard Louv, sociologist Juliet Schor, environmental writer Bill McKibben, educators Diane Levin and Nancy Carlsson-Paige, neuroscientist Gary Small, parks advocate Charles Jordan, and geneticist David Suzuki, PLAY AGAIN investigates the consequences of a childhood removed from nature and encourages action for a sustainable future.

      As we stand at a turning point in our relationship with earth, we find ourselves immersed in the gray area between the natural and virtual worlds. From a global perspective of wonder and hope, PLAY AGAIN examines this unique point in history.

      Join us for this incredible film, followed by a community discussion with the filmmaker. See the trailer and great resources at: http://playagainfilm.com/.

      Please help us get the word out! Download the Flyer HERE.

      Thanks! (Event is FREE and open to the public! ...but Donations are kindly accepted).

      **Friday, December 9, 2011, 6:30 to 9:30 PM (Don’t miss the Great Short Films at 6:30!, Feature Film at 7)

      FILM:  "A SELECTION OF FILM SEGMENTS ON “DIRECT DEMOCRACY”  With a focus on Occupy Seattle.  …How Do We Link the Occupy Movement with the Neighborhoods?

      The state of the economy, the enormous disparity in wealth and opportunity we experience in this country and rest of the world, and the lack of a government truly responsive to the majority of its citizens are of devastating impact to us individually and as a nation.  The Occupy Movement seeks a major transformation to a participatory democracy in the economy as well as in the government that will serve us all.  Tremendously important information is being discussed and developed and needs to be shared. But the opportunities to participate in and support this movement are limited to the time and energy individuals struggle to make available.

      This evening, we’ll hear about the Occupy Seattle Movement directly from participants, discuss why it’s important to all of us, and explore effective ways we can empower our communities in actively becoming part of this movement.

      Facilitated discussion follows with participants from Occupy Seattle, Sustainable Wallingford and Transition Seattle.

      **Friday, December 16, 2011, 7:00 to 9:30 PM

      In December 2005, Daniel McGowan was arrested by Federal agents in a nationwide sweep of radical environmentalists involved with the Earth Liberation Front-- a group the FBI has called America's "number one domestic terrorism threat."

      For years, the ELF—operating in separate anonymous cells without any central leadership—had launched spectacular arsons against dozens of businesses they accused of destroying the environment: timber companies, SUV dealerships, wild horse slaughterhouses, and a $12 million ski lodge at Vail, Colorado.  With the arrest of Daniel and thirteen others, the government had cracked what was probably the largest ELF cell in America and brought down the group responsible for the very first ELF arsons in this country.

      IF A TREE FALLS tells the remarkable story of the rise and fall of this ELF cell, by focusing on the transformation and radicalization of one of its members.

      Trailer: http://www.ifatreefallsfilm.com/film.html

      Friday, December 23, 2011, 7:00-9:30 PM

      Friday, December 30, 2011, 7:00-9:30 PM

      NO FILM THIS FRIDAY

      Town Hall:

      Nomi Prins: ‘Black Tuesday’—and Today

      Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 7:30 – 9:00pm

      Downstairs at Town Hall; enter on Seneca Street. $5.

      Former Wall-Street-insider-turned-journalist Nomi Prins last visited Town Hall in 2009 with her economic wake-up call, It Takes a Pillage. She returns with a similar theme, and a ‘novel’ approach: Black Tuesday, is a fictional tale set on the… More

      Soundings: Shi-Ling Hsu: ‘The Case for a Carbon Tax’

      Wednesday, December 7, 2011, 7:30 – 9:00pm

      Downstairs at Town Hall; enter on Seneca Street. $5.

      There’s a simple, straightforward way to cut carbon emissions, says Shi-Ling Hsu–and we’re rejecting it because of irrational political fears. Hsu, author of The Case for a Carbon Tax, weighs the merits of the major approaches to curbing CO2 and …

      John de Graaf and David Batker: ‘What’s the Economy For, Anyway?’

      Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 7:30 – 9:00pm

      Downstairs at Town Hall; enter on Seneca Street. $5.

      Local activists John de Graaf and David Batker, authors of What’s the Economy For, Anyway? (based on the film of the same name), tackle 13 economic issues, challenging us to consider the point of our economy and setting forth a simple goal for any economic system: the greatest good for the greatest number over the longest run.

      Sustainable Ballard

      2011 Annual Holiday Barter FairMonday, November 28 @ Sunset Hill Community Club
Let's prepare for the Holidays by trading our professional and homespun goods and services! A Sustainable Ballard Tradition! Come get to know your neighbors!

      Sustainable Ballard and Backyard Barter are pleased to host an evening of community and food. Please join us even if you don't want to trade!

      6:30-7:30 potluck, set up your table, check out other people's stuff and eat dinner.

                      please bring your own dishes this month for the potluck

      7:30-9:00 get your barter on!

      What to bring:

                      homemade or homegrown food

                      homemade crafts

                      an offer of labor/skill/mentorship in the garden or kitchen

      What not to bring:

                      store-bought items

      Do you have a something that you like to make for your friends and family at holiday time? (Candles, sweet treats, jewelry, sewn or knitted items, potted plants, etc.) Make some extra and bring it to the barter fair!

      Can you provide a service that would make a great gift? (Cooking, cleaning, petsitting, haircuts, design, accounting, etc?) We'll provide some gift certificates to fill in and offer in trade for stuff.

      Find special treasures, and learn about your neighbors special skills. It's fun and profitable! Get a great jump on your holiday shopping.

      Next Month:  Jan.

      Film:  Carbon Nation:  Jan. 21st, 2012

      Greenwood Senior Center:  525 N. 85th St.

      Speakers: Pam and Jeremy from Puget Sound Solar

      Fund raiser for Citizen's Climate Lobby:  Suggested donation $5.00 +

      Anne Engstrom